Author Topic: Epic - silent or automated install  (Read 895 times)

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
Epic - silent or automated install
« on: July 20, 2018, 11:39:15 am »
Does anyone know if there's switches on the Epic installer to so silent or automated installs? I'm looking into using PDQdeploy here and hoping I can utilize it for Epic.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline GeorgeW

• True Believer
    • AssuredPartners NL
Re: Epic - silent or automated install
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:46:17 am »
I know this is an old post, but wondered if you ever had any success with this?
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic Online 2019 (MU5)

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:56:59 am »
As of yesterday...YES...I did!

First off, Applied's Knowledgebase just flat out doesn't work - the search bar gets nothing even when I put terms from the actual article into it. That said, if you go into Epic documentation, and scroll down about 10-15 articles or so, there is a "Quiet Install" article that talks about how to do silent installs in Epic.

Actually, I'll save you the work - all you need to do is create an XML answer file with one parameter in it, then when you run the Epic installer, use the following command line:

Thinclientinstaller_XYZ.exe ANSWERFILE c:\epicinstaller\answerfile.xml

Apparently very important - the answerfile path HAS to have the full path. .\ didn't work, nor did just changing to the directory and directly specifying the file. Spent 2 hours on that yesterday.

You do need admin rights to install; PDQ does this automatically but if you're using command prompt/Powershell, you have to run them as admin.

I'm attaching the answer file, since its really one universal parameter and not specific to anything. I'm also attaching a package file for PDQ Deploy if anyone happens to use that as well - I haven't tested the sleep commands yet but you can disable/delete those and it works fine, but PDQ will report "success" about 30 seconds after launching setup, not when it actually completes.

The last few sleep commands in the PDQ package give it 2 minutes to install, then another 2 minutes to complete (it considers it complete if it sees the desktop icon). If it doesn't complete within 4 total minutes, it errors (even if its just not done yet). You can simply copy the first sleep command a few more times if it takes longer than 4 minutes for you - each sleep command waits 30 seconds except for the last.

(Attachments are TXT files, but both should be renamed to .XML - forum wouldn't let me attach xml files)

Enjoy!

I know this is an old post, but wondered if you ever had any success with this?
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 10:06:04 am »
Thanks Jeff!!

But can I say, that answer file looks quite complicated!  :o :o 8)

/sarcasm
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security

Offline GeorgeW

• True Believer
    • AssuredPartners NL
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 02:01:57 pm »
Thanks!!  I should have replied back sooner.

After my post, we contacted Applied Support and they sent us this information.  We are using it with PDQ. I don't fool with all of that, but they say they got it working!
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic Online 2019 (MU5)

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 11:59:04 am »
Thanks!!  I should have replied back sooner.

After my post, we contacted Applied Support and they sent us this information.  We are using it with PDQ. I don't fool with all of that, but they say they got it working!

Yeah simply launching it with one step in PDQ gets it done, but since I push all software via PDQ now, I wanted a wait for it to wait until it was complete before moving onto the next program.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24