Fujitsu vs Canon for barcode scanning

Started by sboehm, July 18, 2018, 04:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboehm

We're in the market for replacement high-volume scanners. The tech who works for our printer/scanner maintenance company suggested Fujitsu scanners over any other brand because of their reliability.

We currently have 3 various Canon models that have all been breaking down and needing repairs.
Our oldest and most reliable is the DR-9080C. It's been around for about 10 years now.
We also have a DR-9050C that's almost as old as the one above.
The newest (4.5 years old) and apparently still the most current model is the DR-G1130. It stopped working and will cost more to repair than replace.
I really don't want to purchase 3 DR-G1130s only to have them last ~4.5 years, but the equivalent model Fujitsu are insanely priced.

We're looking at the fi-6800 and the fi-5950 but the cost is 2-3x as much as the Canon!

If we can expect 2-3x the life out of a Fujitsu scanner, we're not against paying the price if it prevents hardware replacement.

I should mention we are Epic 2017R2 on-prem, going to hosted by the end of the year. Windows 10 PC's.

Having no previous experience with Fujitsu, what are you using and what kind of volume do you do?
Charles L Crane Agency
St. Louis, MO

Jeff Golas

EDIT: I just re-read your post and realized you're having issues with a Canon DR-G1130 - what's the issue? (I just bought 2 recently)

The problem with the 9080s is that the drivers are basically Win7/8, and you're lucky if you can make them work in Win10. (I had them working up to version 1607 but 1709 broke em).

We only use those for "bulk" scanning and larger jobs. Otherwise I replaced/consolidated all of our printers to MFPs that all have scanners attached and configured them to scan to email (or a file share). Those are used most of the time for smaller one-off jobs.

I heard Fujitsu are good and looked at them, but the consensus here was that I needed something quick and a lot of the smaller scanners just looked like junk compared to the Canons.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

sboehm

Quote from: Jeff Golas on July 18, 2018, 04:27:12 PM
EDIT: I just re-read your post and realized you're having issues with a Canon DR-G1130 - what's the issue? (I just bought 2 recently)

The problem with the 9080s is that the drivers are basically Win7/8, and you're lucky if you can make them work in Win10. (I had them working up to version 1607 but 1709 broke em).

We only use those for "bulk" scanning and larger jobs. Otherwise I replaced/consolidated all of our printers to MFPs that all have scanners attached and configured them to scan to email (or a file share). Those are used most of the time for smaller one-off jobs.

I heard Fujitsu are good and looked at them, but the consensus here was that I needed something quick and a lot of the smaller scanners just looked like junk compared to the Canons.

The imager (I think is what the tech said) went bad and was going to cost almost as much as a new scanner.

They recommend Fujitsu but the price of an equally spec'd device is 2.5x that of the Canon.
Charles L Crane Agency
St. Louis, MO

sboehm

Just wanted to follow up, in case anyone comes across this post.

We ended up ordering 3 of the Canon DR-G1130s. The extreme cost of the Fujitsu just couldn't be justified.
Charles L Crane Agency
St. Louis, MO

Jeff Golas

Was your broken one spitting out an error code, just not talking to the computer, etc? Just curious as to how it failed.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

sboehm

Quote from: Jeff Golas on July 26, 2018, 02:24:36 PM
Was your broken one spitting out an error code, just not talking to the computer, etc? Just curious as to how it failed.

It would only scan ~20 pages and then just quit.
Charles L Crane Agency
St. Louis, MO

Jeff Golas

Interesting - if you tried updating the firmware in it? You can get the firmware from Canons support site.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

sboehm

Quote from: Jeff Golas on July 26, 2018, 02:27:41 PM
Interesting - if you tried updating the firmware in it? You can get the firmware from Canons support site.
Yes. They all have the latest firmware. The tech who maintains our printers and scanners diagnosed it as one of the circuit boards in the unit. Apparently it had been acting up for a while but I wasn't notified about it until it completely died. 
Charles L Crane Agency
St. Louis, MO

Jeff Golas

Ah ok - let me know how the new ones go, hopefully these last like 30-40 years at least LOL. Actually I'm hoping these will be the last "bulk" scanners we have to buy.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24