Author Topic: Hello DoRiS  (Read 435 times)

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
Hello DoRiS
« on: July 03, 2018, 01:38:19 pm »
I have a specific technical question and then a general question about DORIS.

1)  Does anyone know anything about setting up DORIS to run on a terminal server as a remote app?

2)  Where did Doris come from, why does it exist?  What's it's back story?  I've known the name for years but not anything about it and now I'm servicing a client who is on it and am just curious.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
Re: Hello DoRiS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 02:49:57 pm »
Applied bought them long while back I think.  Don't know much about it.   Applied selling a cloud version but product if I recall is about as old as TAM comes in many flavors meaning where people chose to stay put at.  Applied keeps it for small agencies.

https://www1.appliedsystems.com/media/1967/applied-doris_en-us.pdf

Before Applied it was www.dorissystems.com which now redirects back to Applied.

Here is an old card file pre-dates applied.  https://www.insurancejournal.com/directories/companycard.php?compid=729&listid=6612
Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 04:23:51 pm »
DORIS was originally owned by Rough Notes, I think. It was designed for the small agencies. I mean small shop, like 4-5 people. It had limited functionality and I assume it still does. No accounting module? I looked at it 20 years ago when we purchased applied. We fit their target size, but it did not fit my desired functionality. I doubt there has been much upgrading to it in many years, outside of required updates to continue functioning in an advancing OS atmosphere.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline DebAmstutz

• Scalliwag
  • It's never too late, until it's really too late...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 04:03:04 pm »
I always wished I could see the DORIS program in use.  Never did.  I wonder how many actual DORIS users there still are?  I can't remember if the info on DORIS users was on the member/nonmember listings when I was chapter president.  I do recall getting the info for one of our meetings because Jim Kellner was the speaker and it was several months after the DORIS acquisition and we wanted Jim to inform everyone about what was happening at Applied.  (The meeting was kind of like TENCon for those who didn't or couldn't go-they still got the Kellner speech and they could ask questions of him.)
Deb Amstutz
Currently Unemployed

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:57:07 am »
Not sure if this is is part of an acquisition or you're looking for a small AMS, but if it's the latter, check out EZ Lynx Agency Management System. They seem to be updating it a lot.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 01:26:44 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone.  An agency I just began doing support for is on it.  I haven't gotten my feet too wet with it yet so I can't speak to functionality, but it is SQL based - so .. +1.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com