Main Menu

Laptops - used as desktops

Started by Tom Fisher, May 21, 2018, 03:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Fisher

I've got a client looking for Dell or Lenovo laptops that have awesome docking capabilities so that they can be used as the desktop when in the office and also mobile.

Anyone using something like this that they LOVE?
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Ric

Tom, there has been talk about Surface Pro 3 and 4s being good solutions too
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Bob

Actually Ric I was set on getting a Surface Pro 4 as workstation.  When I polled all my tech friends they told me NO.   Pointed me to reviews and experiences.   While a great product, the full time use is unreliable on the life span.   Many complained of failure after 1 year intense use.

It took a lot of convincing to talk me out of it because my heart was set on that.   Why I got my new workstation Opti 7550 similar to yours with the 500GB SSD and I went with more memory too.  SP4 was what I wanted. 

Depending on Tom's clients need SP4 could work but if everyday workstation then not recommended.   That was the majority opinion and went with it.

Tom Fisher

For the same reasons, I'm not comfortable suggesting a SP.  I dont think these laptops will be mobile very much.  They will be workstations that can be taken home when needed or on trips or maybe to the conference room when needed.  My biggest thing is the docking ... 1,2,3 monitors, keyboard, mouse, speakers and LAN when connected with no more than one wire.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Joshua Conner

I love my Lenovo x1 Carbon with Pro Dock.   I have the 5th Gen and I think they just came out with the 6th gen. 

It is one cable to plug it in when i sit down and I am good to go.  I have been using the lenovo docks for years and I love them.   
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Jeff Golas

We use Lenovo T and X series across the board and love them. On-site support is hit or miss sometimes but compared to all my previous laptop experiences we've been fairly good with these.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Ric

Quote from: Bob on May 21, 2018, 04:46:06 PM
Actually Ric I was set on getting a Surface Pro 4 as workstation.  When I polled all my tech friends they told me NO.   Pointed me to reviews and experiences.   While a great product, the full time use is unreliable on the life span.   Many complained of failure after 1 year intense use.

It took a lot of convincing to talk me out of it because my heart was set on that.   Why I got my new workstation Opti 7550 similar to yours with the 500GB SSD and I went with more memory too.  SP4 was what I wanted. 

Depending on Tom's clients need SP4 could work but if everyday workstation then not recommended.   That was the majority opinion and went with it.

Bob, my Surface Pro 3 has been rock solid, I use it all the time as a full time machine.

Just sayin
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Tom Fisher

Ric, how is the docking with the SP?
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Ric

Quote from: Tom Fisher on May 22, 2018, 01:02:01 PM
Ric, how is the docking with the SP?

Tom,

I was only speaking in that instance as to the durability of the Surface Pro 3 (4)

I do not use a docking station but know people that do and would refer you and Bob to them.  From what I understand they work well
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

DebAmstutz

So the agency here is getting me a laptop to use full time (they're going to keep me as an employee-I've been moving around to whatever desk is empty on any given day since I was hired in January.  The Lenovos win the vote, I presume?  They will get me a 2nd monitor also.  The agency is TAMOnline.  Would I be able to take the laptop to one of the other branches to use or not?  My previous agency was TAM in-house, so I'm new to TAMOnline how-to.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Sherry Burrell

Once you connect to the network/internet in the branch office, everything would work the same.
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Jeff Golas

One thing to note with Lenovos...the very latest generation (90 series - T490, T590, etc) have changed a bit from previous generation Lenovos. The 3 biggest things are that the batteries are strictly internal now, but the laptops support USB charging so it might be possible to use USB batteries with them.

One other complaint about the latest gen is that the vents are on the right side of the laptop, so if you use it as an actual laptop a lot with an external mouse (on the right side), your hand may get a little warm. I have one in house now and messed around with it yesterday, and unless you're directly to the right of it (like if you were on a plane) you should be ok.

The 80 series was the last generation to have left-side ventilation and real batteries, and are still very readily available.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

We always use a docking setup with dual monitors.  The leaves the laptop closed and off to the side or whatever, allowing you to work with full keyboard, mouse, dual monitor stand.

The new Dell docking stations are little boxes with USB-C on them.  Smaller than a Wyse thin client - probably about the size of a Western Digital Passport if I'm remembering correctly.  You can place the laptop anywhere the USB cord reaches.

We do still have one of the old docking deals as well, where the laptop snaps into a tray.

I definitely prefer using docking rather than a laptop monitor and external monitor with mismatched display size/height and having to plug everything in all the time.

Laptops are "going away" though.  So are desktops.  Not even that futuristic talk, either. 
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Billy Welsh

I have always felt the same, and yet I have surprised myself at home with a mismatched mishmash.  Laptop in the middle, might be 13" display (probably 12").  2 additional large displays (~21" methinks) on either side, but different brands and therefore slightly different heights.  Laptop is on a stand so that everything is loosely aligned close enough horizontally.  Naturally, all the important stuff is occurring on the big boys.

Of course, I am not on that 10+hours/day 5 days a week.  I did spend some pretty full weekends on this setup recently doing tax returns.  But when I lost one of my 3 matched/identical displays here, and had to sub in a smaller one while waiting on IT, it was making me crazy.

Quote from: Mark on April 26, 2019, 10:44:13 AM
I definitely prefer using docking rather than a laptop monitor and external monitor with mismatched display size/height and having to plug everything in all the time.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

My last setup was like that, and I call it the Mikey Mouse rig!

I'm looking into USB3 docks right now, at least for a group of shared/hotel desks, as I'm now going to be running two different gens of Lenovo docks which are a pain.

Quote from: Billy Welsh on April 26, 2019, 12:00:51 PM

I have always felt the same, and yet I have surprised myself at home with a mismatched mishmash.  Laptop in the middle, might be 13" display (probably 12").  2 additional large displays (~21" methinks) on either side, but different brands and therefore slightly different heights.  Laptop is on a stand so that everything is loosely aligned close enough horizontally.  Naturally, all the important stuff is occurring on the big boys.

Of course, I am not on that 10+hours/day 5 days a week.  I did spend some pretty full weekends on this setup recently doing tax returns.  But when I lost one of my 3 matched/identical displays here, and had to sub in a smaller one while waiting on IT, it was making me crazy.

Quote from: Mark on April 26, 2019, 10:44:13 AM
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24