Main Menu

Desktops - What to Buy?

Started by Jeff Zylstra, May 21, 2018, 09:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Some of my desktops are in need of replacement, so I'm looking for guidance as to what to buy.  Here are my questions.

1.  Which brand? Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, Asus?  Where to buy?

2.  I have decided on a 240-256 Gb SSD hard drive, simply because my experience with them has been good, and the prices
     seem reasonable for the performance you get.

3.  I think I'm going with Intel,  but I-5 or I-7?  There doesn't seem to be much difference in cost or performance anymore for
     general business use.  And, I don't see any reason to add more cores.  Or am I wrong?  Also, what speed?

4.  Is there any reason to go over 8 Gigs or ram?  And is DDR 4 memory on the 7th generation chips that much faster than
    Generation 6 ram - the DDR 3 stuff?   Wondering if there's any real difference between Generation 6 and 7, if I find a good
    deal on Gen 6 hardware?

5.  Video - Is there any significant gain in performance in going with a dedicated Graphics processor for business applications,
    or is the on board Intel Graphics OK?  I notice the graphics on Intel I-7 based boards are different than I-5 boards.  Worth it,
    or not?

6.  Windows Pro or Ulitimate?  I have 2 users who will be using Bit Locker for the first time, because they deal with securities
     and need their files encrypted at rest.  Both use something else right now, and one has had an issue that required them to
    decrypt and re-encrypt the hard drive.  Not fun, so I think I'm going to go "native" with the encryption next time.

Many questions here, so pontificate away, as all is appreciated!  And feel free to refer to the questions by number if you respond, so you don't have to type a tome to respond.  THANK YOU!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

I just replaced my box after 7 years.  Dell Optiplex 7050 500GB SSD, 16GB Memory with i7 onboard integrated graphics using two DP ports.  I absolutely love the setup.  So fast, quiet.  I went with 16 as last box had 8 and all my IT apps, work apps and reports would put a load on it causing apps to stutter and pause.    For our staff I generally get them 8GB.  Graphics can't see getting a card for office apps.  No need unless gaming.  I think the onboard works well and think DP is the standard now.  I also bought 2 - 27" screens that I love a well.  I also like this latest version of W10.  Much better than my version at home..

Like my box so much I like coming to work.   ;D

Ric

Jeff,

After a bunch of searching and quoting we are now buying these:
Lenovo Intel Core i5-7500T Processor - they have SSHD's in them

So far we have 3 of them and they are great.

Full specs and add on are below.  Price was about $830 "including taxes, tags, dealer prep and other options"  :)

Thinkcentre M710q
Part No: 10MRCTO1WW
Configuration Details
●  Intel Core i5-7500T Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz )
●  Windows 10 Pro 64
●  Windows 10 Pro 64 English
●  Tiny B250
●  8GB DDR4 2400 SODIMM
●  Integrated Intel HD Graphics
●  DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
●  DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
●  256GB SolidState Drive M.2 PCIe Opal
●  Integrated Gigabit Ethernet Port
●  Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, 802.11ac, 1x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0
●  USB Traditional Keyboard Black English
●  USB Calliope Mouse Black
●  Internal Speaker for Tiny
●  Vertical Stand for Tiny
●  Publication English
●  1 Year On-site

Added Item:
3Year Onsite NBD upgrade from 1Y Onsite NBD
2 HDMI to VGA Adapters

HTH

Ric
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Bob on May 21, 2018, 12:25:56 PM
I just replaced my box after 7 years.  Dell Optiplex 7050 500GB SSD, 16GB Memory with i7 onboard integrated graphics using two DP ports.  I absolutely love the setup.  So fast, quiet.  I went with 16 as last box had 8 and all my IT apps, work apps and reports would put a load on it causing apps to stutter and pause.    For our staff I generally get them 8GB.  Graphics can't see getting a card for office apps.  No need unless gaming.  I think the onboard works well and think DP is the standard now.  I also bought 2 - 27" screens that I love a well.  I also like this latest version of W10.  Much better than my version at home..

Sounds sweat!  Did you get the full size tower, or the "tiny" option?  I've been somewhat resistant to the "tiny" option because I don't know what options you have for add-on cards.  Also, is heat ever an issue?  That's my other concern.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Zylstra

Rick, I've looked at that exact box!  Same questions to you, about the heat concern?

Bob

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on May 21, 2018, 02:28:07 PM

Sounds sweat!  Did you get the full size tower, or the "tiny" option?  I've been somewhat resistant to the "tiny" option because I don't know what options you have for add-on cards.  Also, is heat ever an issue?  That's my other concern.

Tech has changed..  I haven't had a need in years to put in a card, add on for what?   More efficient today less heat, less moving parts.   Forget large or midsize towers.   That was when you wanted to expand upon.  Todays world where even DVD/Optical drives becoming obsolete because media is digital today and bandwidth abundant.  Different world.   Under warranty 3 years on site.  Small is good!  I paid about 1k for twice for SSD space and Memory of Ric's.    Personally I could be wrong, Lenova owned by Chinese?   No trust in technology from China.  Not that it isn't goodhardware, more like what's hidden in it.   Nothing will change my mind on that.  Just my opinion only no facts just lack of trust.  :)

Jeff Golas

I have a couple of the Tinys and have seen them used elsewhere, most recently in a *very* large (think skyscraper) real estate office I visited. They work great and no real heat issues to speak of. Honestly I haven't replaced or upgraded a video card since the early 2000s - at least not in the office!
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Ric

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on May 21, 2018, 02:29:04 PM
Rick, I've looked at that exact box!  Same questions to you, about the heat concern?

Pretty kool Jeff!

Heat has not been an issue.  SSDs are the way to go. sooooo few moving parts.
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jeff Golas

PS - Lenovo makes monitors that have built-in mounts on the back for the Tinys...just saw them last week on their web site.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Ric

oh, and 20 second boot up time are SaWEET!
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Billy Welsh

Even if you have some "special" users (like me ;D  with my three 27" displays), it is so easy to just get a USB video card.  My desktop is not a mini, but relatively new and "only" has the Intel on-board graphics.  Which is limited to 2 panels.  So for < $100 #3 is running just fine on the USB card.  Cheaper and easier than popping in an internal card.

Quote from: Bob on May 21, 2018, 02:47:24 PM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on May 21, 2018, 02:28:07 PM

Tech has changed..  I haven't had a need in years to put in a card, add on for what?   More efficient today less heat, less moving parts.   Forget large or midsize towers.   That was when you wanted to expand upon.  Todays world where even DVD/Optical drives becoming obsolete because media is digital today and bandwidth abundant.  Different world.   Under warranty 3 years on site.  Small is good!  I paid about 1k for twice for SSD space and Memory of Ric's.    Personally I could be wrong, Lenova owned by Chinese?   No trust in technology from China.  Not that it isn't goodhardware, more like what's hidden in it.   Nothing will change my mind on that.  Just my opinion only no facts just lack of trust.  :)
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Zylstra

All good information, and makes me feel better about the small form factor thing, and the on-board video.  Sounds like an I-5 with the fastest clock speed is the way to go.  Thanks, guys!

Jeff Golas

You may want to check - if you do want 3 displays, I think the Tinys may support that.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Ric

Quote from: Jeff Golas on May 22, 2018, 09:57:34 AM
You may want to check - if you do want 3 displays, I think the Tinys may support that.

There are punch outs in the Lenovo Tinys we got so they may be able to preconfigure them with a 3rd or 4th video port.
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Terry Evans

What was the cost for that Dell Config?  Who did you buy it through, Dell Direct or Applied Systems contact?  I can never get anyone that understands that Applied Systems is supposed to have a relationship/discount with Dell.

Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz