Author Topic: O365 - "Public Calendar"  (Read 909 times)

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
O365 - "Public Calendar"
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:40:06 pm »
In Office 2010, we all had access to a "Public Calendar".  We added times when we would be out of the office and when we would be occupying conference rooms.  This was a little clunky because it was in addition to our own calendar, and the room booking never really worked to keep anyone else from also booking the room.

O365 must have a solution that feeds from our individual calendars, right?  I mean, everything seems to be connected.  What am I missing?
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
Re: O365 - "Public Calendar"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:41:46 pm »
It keeps changing..  Use to be share a folder, then it was a room.   Haven't done this in almost 3 yrs but we created room and created shared company calendar that all can view but only management can edit/add.  Staff would request time off and their manager would add it.

Here is a link in regards to rooms.  Still can't wrap head around terminology and purpose but create a room from there things get easier.

https://robinpowered.com/blog/how-to-add-meeting-room-calendars-in-office-365/   This is what we did in 2015/16.   Being 2018 might have changed and someone can correct me if it did.

I think the easiest direct way is to create a shared mailbox, then share that calendar.   We were told room was better option so we went that route while back.
Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:03:02 am »
Adding a room is the easiest, most direct way to deal with scheduling conference rooms.  (Not so much for tracking people out of the office).

To add a room, from O365, goto Admin Center > Resources > Room & Equipment > Add Room
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 12:15:09 pm »
Yeah by adding the rooms, in Outlook when you go to schedule a meeting, it gives the users ability to actually search available rooms if need be, or they can just pull it in as usual.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:53:10 pm »
Thank you for your responses.  I'll just create the shared mailbox for the calendar. 

The rooms will be helpful, too, for reserving the space...  If people use it.   ::)
Heather Reetz
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 01:14:15 pm »
Thank you for your responses.  I'll just create the shared mailbox for the calendar. 

The rooms will be helpful, too, for reserving the space...  If people use it.   ::)

Our rule here is that the calendar rules the roost...if you didn't book the room but you're in there...you're booted out (with some exceptions of course lol)
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 01:29:01 pm »

Our rule here is that the calendar rules the roost...if you didn't book the room but you're in there...you're booted out (with some exceptions of course lol)

...and it's always the ones who have the exceptions that end up abusing it - but I guess if you're name is on the sign and/or you sign the checks, you can have whatever room you want.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 01:36:30 pm »

Those two are really the only exceptions.

...and it's always the ones who have the exceptions that end up abusing it - but I guess if you're name is on the sign and/or you sign the checks, you can have whatever room you want.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:19:35 pm »
Yeah, that does tend to be the case sometimes.  And we have 3 of them.
Heather Reetz