Author Topic: O365 - Yammer, Teams, Planner  (Read 874 times)

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
O365 - Yammer, Teams, Planner
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:44:41 am »
Does anyone have any success stories with Yammer?  I see a lot of potential.

Any tips, tricks, advice, complaints on any of these?

We've finally got everyone on O365/2016 and are in the planning stages of rolling out some of these other tools.
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
Re: O365 - Yammer, Teams, Planner
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:55:01 pm »
I've been watching these with baited breath, but I feel like even Microsoft doesn't have a "solid" strategy with them. When I went to Ignite, the feeling I got was that they offered these fairly redundant tools because "everybody's different", but Teams does what Yammer kinda does, and Office Groups sorta does what Teams does, and Teams will eventually replace skype, and so on and so on. I really want to at least roll out Teams as that seems to have at least a fairly stable roadmap, but even then I'm not sure exactly how to shoe-horn it in. I picture the conversation in my head and in 100% of my own simulated conversations I'm asked why you would use another tool when email works perfectly fine.

Teams appears to be an attempt at consolidating all the redundant technologies into a focused portal. One place to go to access the other tools, whereas before it was all over the place. Its also supposed to replace Skype, which I'm fairly concerned about (Oh you need a kitchen sink? well our solution includes the oven and the fridge even if you already have those).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:57:25 pm by Jeff Golas »
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:02:31 pm »
LOL.  Yes, that will likely be a common response.  I do like the idea of Yammer being able to replace waiting until everyone is available for a meeting to discuss a concept.  And Planner seems to be a good way to keep everyone on track with a project. 

Also seeing the redundancy.  We don't use Skype yet, but I'd like to be able to use it in place of JoinMe. Or maybe Teams will be the way to go?

We honestly just finally got everyone over to O365 on the basic Office programs.  Trying to get some key players involved in testing out some of these other programs.
Heather Reetz
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:07:07 pm »
Skype was something that we have maybe 70% uptake on. It lets people jibber jabber without being heard, I'm not 100% sure that's a good thing, but it really helps when we have a snow day and everyone can just work at home yet keep in touch. Initially people had reservations about Skype but then maybe 2 months down the road (and doing very good training on it) I found uptake was much higher than I anticipated.

We have a lot of "conversations" that happen via email now that I feel teams would be better suited for, but how would one find out there's a new post - they'd get an email, and then likely would find that having to go to another tool/software to respond would be more of a pain than just hitting "Reply" in an email. The upside to teams would be that if a topic gets discussed, it could be discovered later as opposed to having to ask that question again.

Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 03:56:38 pm »
I agree that Teams is replacing yammer.  Considering Teams for management staff.
Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:39 am »
Like Jeff said, Teams is the single pane of glass solution for all of these different apps/services.    Here's a graphic that goes a long way to help visualize it.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:13:57 pm »
Due to some corporate changes in the past few days, I'm revisiting teams and may actually test drive it for a few departments.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 01:37:05 pm »
Heather - did you play with Teams at all? I cleaned up our setup and starting to use it for some field workers.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:18:28 pm »
I really haven't gotten into it much.  I've been exploring Planner and finding ways to use that to keep projects on track and assign tasks to those responsible. 

Yammer has been a little useful, but it hasn't really taken off.
Heather Reetz