Author Topic: Discontinuing of Analog Phone Lines and POTS  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
  • "Fall down seven times, get up eight" Japanese Pro
    • Mariano Agency
Re: Discontinuing of Analog Phone Lines and POTS
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 01:43:00 pm »
Yes, we use Fax @vantage, but with the Brooktrout Tru Fax 200 card.  I should clarify that we don't have any real problems with FAXING over VOIP, either with Fax @vantage or our regular fax machines.  I still get phone calls to my "failover" number, which is my cell phone, but they are MUCH improved since they replaced the Adtran CSU/DSU unit.

ahhh a Brooktrout board.  We have one line in and another out.  Not enough demand to make any changes at this point.

Thanx Jeff!
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 14.0.2, 13 users, Windows 2012 Server, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Internet Exploder 11, Office 2010

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 03:55:05 pm »
I have a Brooktrout 200 if anyone is interested. Cheap! (maybe two, gotta check my shelves)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 07:21:15 pm »
I have a Brooktrout 200 if anyone is interested. Cheap! (maybe two, gotta check my shelves)

The last several versions of Fax @vantage require the "newer" RoHS compliant version of the Tru-Fax cards.  Not sure which one you have.  I was not too happy to have to replace a perfectly good fax board when Fax @vantage was updated!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 10:32:42 am »
Mark this down as I'm siding with Applied on this one, but I believe this may have been due to the driver support being discontinued for the older ones. They really didn't have a choice I believe.

That said, I'm not sure what version this one is, I was using it with the latest version of Fax@ up to 2015 I think.

The last several versions of Fax @vantage require the "newer" RoHS compliant version of the Tru-Fax cards.  Not sure which one you have.  I was not too happy to have to replace a perfectly good fax board when Fax @vantage was updated!
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 10:43:55 am »
If it was good in 2015, it should be good as I think it's been 6-8 years since the switchover.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 12:16:30 pm »
What are the replacement options?  I'm done with Pitney.  Constantly lying to create pressure sales.

We don't want to print postage and affix.  We want a meter.  That said what did you replace with Josh?

I dropped the machine and went to affixing stamps.  They are self sticking now, no need for water.  Kept the Ascom machine for sealing envelopes en masse.  We usually affix before sealing.  No contracts, no breakdowns.  Have to go to the post office anyway to get mail from boxes.  Small town, single office.   :)
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 10:24:23 am »
I dropped the machine and went to affixing stamps.  They are self sticking now, no need for water.  Kept the Ascom machine for sealing envelopes en masse.  We usually affix before sealing.  No contracts, no breakdowns.  Have to go to the post office anyway to get mail from boxes.  Small town, single office.   :)

We did this forever, then when we merged 2 agencies, they had a PB machine, so we've been using it. I would have no trouble going back to real stamps. The only time it's a pain is when you have a heavier envelope that we can't drop in a mailbox with stamps.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline Terry Evans

• Casual Observer
    • Maurer-Noel-Evans
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 06:09:22 pm »
I always thought that would be a good tagline for an insurance agency "WE SUCK LESS THAN THE OTHER GUYS"

I've been gone for over 3.5 years, and we had a Nepost LAN-only meter for at least 2 years before I left.  IMHO, it is sadly a slimy industry in general just based on what I've heard in this group over the years.  We happened to have a local sales guy who was honest which made it better.  But it didn't prevent 100% of the B.S. from Neopost.  At that corporate level I would say that they sucked less than PB.  When I started at the agency in the Stone Ages, PB was there.  I don't recall exactly how long it took me to learn to hate them, but they were replaced at the 1st opportunity.

One day of course copper will be gone, and analog service with it.  But I would not hold your breath.  Remember when we all had to watch phone bills like a hawk because long-distance was so expensive?  Now it's basically a giveaway.  Translation - there's not a whole lot of $ in wired voice for carriers.  So it really depends on where you are.  Internet/Data/Video is what drives fiber construction, not voice.  And there isn't always a reason for them to retire the copper even when they build out fiber.  Plus you have to consider just how much copper you are talking about replacing with very expensive fiber if you are AT&T or one of the other original monopoly carriers.

And even if they decide no more analog for you (I would NOT take PB's word for sure - go to the carrier), there are inexpensive devices that will allow analog devices to operate on digital networks.  We buy them regularly in large quantities for fax machines.  And there are alarm systems and elevators all over the place that are NOT set up for digital calls.  So I really, really have my doubts about the PB claim.
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 10:19:35 am »
I always thought that would be a good tagline for an insurance agency "WE SUCK LESS THAN THE OTHER GUYS"

When Level3 presented to me...this is word for word their exact verbage. Of course they've had some bumps since then but compared to our last provider I can count on one hand the number of issues we've had with L3 (not counting the ones where they took down the entire nation's internet).
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24