Norton Ghost or something similar

Started by Hans Manhave, June 29, 2010, 05:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

Does this technique work? 

Get a hold of Norton Ghost and a new hard drive. Slave the new drive to the current one and load up Ghost with a Windows XP Startup disk. Then do a "Sector by sector copy" within Ghost. When it is done, remove the old drive and now make the new drive the master drive.  When your done, turn on the system and your good as new.  All your files will be untouched by ghost plus you have a complete backup just in case! No need to reinstall XP!

Not sure how I "load up Ghost with a Windows XP Startup disk", but I could possibly get the computer rebooted long enough to install Ghost.

Are there better solutions that will keep my installed programs?  Chkdsk hasn't turned out any problems when finished.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Hans Manhave

How about Acronis' Migrate Easy.  Anyone who used it?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

Clonezilla looked good too, but would have required a lot more reading, I think.  Did Acronis Migrate which did not work.  The drive result was not usable.

Finally (after midnight) remembered Spinrite and so I obtained the latest version, 6, and ran that on the drive.  It found some bad locations.  It would not run on the host machine because it would not load FreeDOS all the way.  So I added the drive to a system that would run Spinrite (Spinrite runs from an image burned to USB key, CD etc.).  After a four hour exercise, the drive did boot this morning.  Will see what happens when I put it back at the office (had taken the machine home for convenience).  Must come through the day somehow.  Maybe will try cloning again tonight.  Must get more sleep though, was still catching up from the last weekend.

JohnGage

I'll add another plug for Clonezilla.  After years of not being able to get Ghost to work CZ has been very easy to use.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

Hans Manhave

I will look at Clonezilla some more.  I just needed a quick solution so I would have this machine on this morning.  Of course, it took a long time anyway and my initial solution didn't work... 

Anybody know if there is a limit to the Event log in Windows?  Should it be saved/cleaned/demolished and restarted?  I'm wondering if 512K is a limit.

Bloody Jack Kidd

The Event logs have configurable limits, by size or by time, after which you either get an error message to clear them, or if configured to do so, they overwrite themselves.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

I've had good results with Acronis True Image, Clonezilla and DD.  If memory serves me, I used all of them by booting from a CD created via ISO image files.  Of the 3, I too would pick Clonezilla.  Partly because I've had issues recently with my Acronis disk imaging back up program (now resolved), and also because it's hard to beat "free" software that works..
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Kevin Crow

We're currently using Ghost but we've been looking at Fog (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/).
I'd appreciate comments from those who've tried it.
Kevin Crow
Kapnick Insurance Group
@kevincrow1 on Twitter
www.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-crow/8/8b6/4bb/

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Kevin Crow on June 30, 2010, 03:39:54 PM
We're currently using Ghost but we've been looking at Fog (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/).
I'd appreciate comments from those who've tried it.

It says it only goes up to XP and Vista, no Win 7.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Bloody Jack Kidd

and requires PXE boot - seems cumbersome to introduce into a large environment.  I like the concept.

Some images I carry on a thumb drive - boot a slax cd and dd the iso to the drive, done.

For more complicated imaging needs, or partition work, it's Clonezilla and GParted, although I think I have also used Disk Director.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

JohnGage

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on June 30, 2010, 12:03:02 PM
I've had good results with Acronis True Image, Clonezilla and DD.  If memory serves me, I used all of them by booting from a CD created via ISO image files.  Of the 3, I too would pick Clonezilla.  Partly because I've had issues recently with my Acronis disk imaging back up program (now resolved), and also because it's hard to beat "free" software that works..

When I've used CloneZilla I use a bootable CD and then conenct an external HDD that stores the images.  Makes for quick backup and restore.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

insurebaltimore

Quote from: JohnGage on June 30, 2010, 04:25:14 PM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on June 30, 2010, 12:03:02 PM

When I've used CloneZilla I use a bootable CD and then conenct an external HDD that stores the images.  Makes for quick backup and restore.

Same here, though I've had some issues cloning RAID's this way.
Jason Gobbel
Microsoft Certified | Six Sigma - Lean/DFSS Certified

"I even put the router lower than the server so the bits gain speed going downhill!" - Rick