Main Menu

Help with server

Started by Coral, January 24, 2018, 09:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coral

I have a windows 2012 server whose drive is full (388.13 GB). The sole function of this server is primary domain controller and print server.

I'm imagining this is full of Microsoft updates. Is it safe to delete them? How do I delete them? I have never done this before, as I generally rotated servers out before this happened.
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Ric

Coral,

If you manage Windows Updates with WSUS you can use the clean up utility within WSUS.

HTHA

Ric
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jeff Golas

Best bet if there's any room at all, to install Windirstat and let it rip on the C drive to analyze what's all there. I'll bet its built up logs that are really filling it. Windirstat will give you an awesome visual with what's all on the drive.

Secondly...if you have zero space and need some emergency space, you can try manually setting the virtual memory setting under performance to something small, like 1 gig, that may free up some temp space.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Coral,

Sorry I'm just seeing this now.  The suggestion of WinDirStat is a great one.  There may be something obvious that you can delete (one large ISO image or something similar).  If this server is a VM and you have available space in your datastore, you can easily expand the hard drive.

I would probably start with CleanMgr:

%windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Coral

Coral Benton
Epic Online

Jeff Zylstra

I'm not sure you're talking enough disk space to really matter just getting rid of Windows Updates.  If you have a RAID setup, think about adding another disk to the array.  Otherwise, think about buying a larger hard drive and replacing the current drive.  If you're that tight, you probably have a lot of profile and other Windows storage that will sooner or later come back.  Could be wrong on that, but I like extra space whenever possible.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on January 25, 2018, 04:12:50 PM
I'm not sure you're talking enough disk space to really matter just getting rid of Windows Updates.  If you have a RAID setup, think about adding another disk to the array.  Otherwise, think about buying a larger hard drive and replacing the current drive.  If you're that tight, you probably have a lot of profile and other Windows storage that will sooner or later come back.  Could be wrong on that, but I like extra space whenever possible.

My c: drive was getting full and I couldn't really find the culprit. I noticed I still had tons of space still left in the data partition, so the investment of Partition Assistant Server and simply reallocated unused drive space to the C: partition. In the end it was quicker and cheaper (in my time opportunity and sanity) to do that they keep trying to chase down what was eating space and the amount of data on C: has remained stable since.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jim Jensen on January 26, 2018, 11:39:53 AM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on January 25, 2018, 04:12:50 PM

My c: drive was getting full and I couldn't really find the culprit. I noticed I still had tons of space still left in the data partition, so the investment of Partition Assistant Server and simply reallocated unused drive space to the C: partition. In the end it was quicker and cheaper (in my time opportunity and sanity) to do that they keep trying to chase down what was eating space and the amount of data on C: has remained stable since.

Glad you found a way.  I've used GParted for that too, but it's not always the fastest or easiest to use.  On the plus side, it's free.  Especially in comparison to some software companies that charge an arm and a leg for software that works on a server.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop