External Hard Drives Used For Computer Backup

Started by Alice Mooney, July 05, 2017, 10:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice Mooney

My personal computer died a horrible, unrecoverable death two weeks ago. Had to go out and get another.  I was using WD Anywhere Passport, but the software for it won't install on Windows 10. I was able to copy the files from the drive to my new computer, so at least I have all my pictures and docs and stuff.
This external drive has served me very well, but I was wondering what everyone else is using.  I really liked the WD because I was able to create and customize the backup plans.

It appears that Windows 10 has a cloud service (or maybe it came with Office360), but (call me old fashioned) I just don't like the idea of my data (including tax returns) hanging out there in the world somewhere.

I'm still getting used to Windows 10 and it really hasn't been too much of a challenge. I kinda like it.
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Jim Jensen

I still use an external HD, but I don't use backup software. I just copy the data that I need, plus any downloaded program installers that I can't easily retrieve later.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Golas

Well there's the usual suspects like Carbonite, etc, but if you're looking to backup to an external drive, Windows10 has a built-in function called "File History". Basically tell it what you want backed up, where to back it up to, and it just does it. While it does use some funky folder structure, the actual files are all there and accessible without having to do an actual "Restore" if you just needed individuals.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Alice Mooney

Really?  I'll have to check that out.  Still very new to Windows 10 and still learning. Looks like as long as computer can read the drive, I can still use it.
Thanks guys!  made my day  :)
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Ian Brown

Alice,

Don't forget that you can load something like Oracle's VirtualBox on your new Windows 10 machine.  From there you can load a version of windows that WD will install on and then do the restore on the virtual machine. This is assuming there is anything left to restore that you wanted to recover.

As for the cloud stuff, Microsoft attempts to make it seem as if the only way to create an account is through them -- I.E. you need to create a microsoft online account that "ties" to your computer.  This can be bypassed.  https://windows.gadgethacks.com/how-to/psa-you-can-run-windows-10-without-microsoft-account-0163711/

Finally, I don't know what version of Windows you were previously using, but if you want the start bar you had in Windows 7, you can get that back by installing this:
http://www.classicshell.net/

When installing, there are four components available.  I only install the updater and the start bar -- I think there's something for Internet Explorer and maybe File Explorer, but I don't use those.

Alice Mooney

Thanks Ian. I had Windows 7 previously - purchased in 2009 I think.  :-\ 
I think as long as the new one can read the drive, I'll be okay.  And I'm okay with the current start bar, can live with it. And I found a way to make IE my default browser instead of Edge. 
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users