Author Topic: OneDrive for collaboration, apps, schedules?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
OneDrive for collaboration, apps, schedules?
« on: May 31, 2017, 01:23:42 pm »
Is anyone using OneDrive for getting applications and schedules verified? 

We're thinking of implementing this type of procedure and I was wondering what I may need to watch out for.  We are considering this for both internal producers to access from "the road" and for outside brokers.  Possibly even some direct to insured.  We're thinking schedules could be updated from a link and then we might have better participation in reviewing and verifying.
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
Re: OneDrive for collaboration, apps, schedules?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:35:38 pm »
Right there with you - rolling it out to all users slowly but surely, and will likely be training on it in June/July.

One PITA thing with it - if you have it via O365, the recipients of shared folders will start showing up in your directory - technically they're sort of considered "external" users. I really hate this aspect and wish even if it has to be that way that Microsoft would hide it by default (they may have changed it now).

Also do check out the control panel - there's some features you fiddle with, including how long shared folders remain active, and whether or not a OneDrive for Business can be "synced" on non-domain computers (I have this set to ON so that only our business computers can sync a onedrive folder).
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:07:13 pm »
We don't currently have O365, and I'm not sure we're leaning in that direction.  I know M$ will want to force us eventually, but our 2010 still works fine.  So, likely just OneDrive for Business.  I really am just starting to play with the  personal account version because I don't have any experience with it.  It seems like it will work well, though.  The owner and I made changes to the same file while we were on the phone together and we could both see the updates.

We work with a lot of brokers, so we were thinking that they would each have their own folder, then customer folders within.  Send the link instead of attachments to email for renewal process.  So, in this way, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have them in a directory.  Most of them already are.  With the business version, couldn't I give them access to both update what we put out there and also be able to upload?

We are using WebDav, sort of, and PDF Expert.  I don't know much about how that got started or set up, but I know that it hasn't been reliable and the sync time is just unreasonable in most cases.

OneDrive seems like it will work more smoothly.  I would think we would want to make sure that setting is on to only sync with our servers for security.  Are there other security concerns that you can think of?
Heather Reetz
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:09:08 pm »
That was going to be my next question - if you dont have O365, I'd highly recommend looking at Box or Dropbox before Onedrive; if you had it with an O365 account then OneDrive integrates well there.

Also keep in mind, the personal oneDrive and the business onedrive, despite having simliar names, are two completely different products. They work simliar, but completely different products. I also would not put any client data on any personal accounts for these storage solutions.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 05:13:03 pm »
Hmmm... I'll look at them, too.  Thanks.

In my testing, I'm not using anything with names. 

I guess I'm just behind in the Cloud boxes in general.  I've used my personal Google Drive, but that's about it.
Heather Reetz

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:56:51 am »
That was going to be my next question - if you dont have O365, I'd highly recommend looking at Box or Dropbox before Onedrive; if you had it with an O365 account then OneDrive integrates well there.

What integration issues are there if not on O365?

We will be needing to access via Windows and iOS, possibly Android.  Do you have any experience with possible issues with any of those?
Heather Reetz

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 02:54:37 pm »
Well, its more like if you don't use O365 already, that I feel the other products like Box, Dropbox, etc may be a lot more user friendly out of the gate. If you were on O365, OneDrive integrates a lot with other areas of O365 so thats better for the integration piece, thats all.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline RayA

• Lurker
    • Company Website
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 03:00:12 pm »
We have both OneDrive and SharePoint.  However, we built our folder structure on SharePoint so that everyone can see it.  For example, one of our folders is called Proposals.  In there, we create a folder for each Prospect or Client we've created a proposal for and then inside of that folder we insert the actual proposal and all the applications that the insured needs to sign in order to bind the line.  We also have a Template Instruction Document in Word that we copy into the folder so that the producer has the instructions of what is needed from him so that we can get the needed items for binding.  This way, it just appears on the producers laptap and they don't have to come into the office to get the paperwork.  They have the insureds sign right on their laptop and they email it back to the person who does the binding, all without ever having come back to the office.

In the attachment, the first picture is the root level of the different proposals we have with the Instructions template at the bottom that we copy into each folder as we create them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:29:32 pm by Jeff Golas »
Ray Alvarez
Commercial Lines Account Executive
Bellido Insurance Brokerage
New York City
TAM 2017

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 04:29:07 pm »
Ray, I removed your attachment as it looked like it had your clients names on it. The second half was fine, just edit it to blur out the names.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24