Main Menu

Dell Workstations

Started by Terry Evans, March 22, 2017, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Evans

So what is the new go to Dell workstation?  I haven't ordered any new computers in over a year and used to get OptiPlex 7010 or 7020.  The new "Standard" configuration on Dell's Applied page is an OptiPlex 5040MT.

What is everyone else using for a typical workstation.  I need to upgrade 2-3 stations over the next 12 months.
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Mark

I got a new OptiPlex 5040 Small Form Factor around this time last year.  When I was talking to the Dell guy I mentioned that I usually get the 70xx series and he said they changed the model numbering matrix (or whatever he called it) and basically said that the 5040 I was getting is now the series that the 7010 would have been.  The main  (or only) difference to go up from the 5040 to the next series is the need to install hundreds of GB or RAM.

I'm liking the 5040.  I have it at home with monster dual monitors.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Ric

Quote from: Mark on March 23, 2017, 08:18:36 AM
I got a new OptiPlex 5040 Small Form Factor around this time last year.  When I was talking to the Dell guy I mentioned that I usually get the 70xx series and he said they changed the model numbering matrix (or whatever he called it) and basically said that the 5040 I was getting is now the series that the 7010 would have been.  The main  (or only) difference to go up from the 5040 to the next series is the need to install hundreds of GB or RAM.

I'm liking the 5040.  I have it at home with monster dual monitors.

We have purchased a couple of 5040's in the last 6 months.  They are working well and I like the small footprint.

Ric
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Joshua Conner

I also agree the 5040 is a nice machine.  Has been running well.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Mark Rowe

I think the newer model is the 5050 which I just got this week. It depends on if you need quick ship or need it built to spec.
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

sboehm

Little late but we've been using the OptiPlex line for years now. When I first started here, we were using the 3010 MT. It changed to the 3020, then 7020, and now it's the 9020.

My favorite feature of the 9020 is the ability to run 3 displays without any extra graphics cards or adapters. On previous models, we would require a separate graphics card for anyone using 3 displays because we had so many problems with a USB solution in the past.
Charles L Crane Agency
St. Louis, MO

Jim Jensen

Quote from: sboehm on July 05, 2017, 06:22:50 PM
My favorite feature of the 9020 is the ability to run 3 displays without any extra graphics cards or adapters. On previous models, we would require a separate graphics card for anyone using 3 displays because we had so many problems with a USB solution in the past.

It took a while, but Dell finally caught up with multiple monitors. My 7020 supports 3 and I was able to configure my prior workstation for 4 (though I only ever used 3).
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

My 7010's can do three displays natively.... unless you update the video driver, then you are down to two.  To get back to three, you have to have some type of "powered" connection or adapter.  I forget the proper term, but a standard monitor with a generic VGA to Display port would not work without downgrading the driver.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security