Author Topic: Replacement for MXLogic's Services  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
Replacement for MXLogic's Services
« on: October 20, 2016, 10:59:09 am »
Just wondering what others have done, or are going to do regarding the January shutdown of MXLogic's services.  We currently get anti-spam and anti-virus filtering, and also archiving services through MXLogic.  Does anyone have a suitable replacement?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
Re: Replacement for MXLogic's Services
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:17:48 am »
I use Symantec.cloud (aka Messagelabs). Have been for years and generally it works well.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:21:58 am »
We moved to Proofpoint based on MX Logic's recommendation.  While it isn't perfect in comparison, it works ok.  I believe that the price is comparable as well.

I have been migrating the archive myself, which is taking quite some time, but I believe that is saved us some money.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Joshua Conner

• True Believer
    • Indiana Applied User Group
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:46:18 pm »
We moved to proofpoint and "its getting better"

I though it was a stable mature product when i moved but it wasnt.  Have no problems currently other than the SSN filter is 100% worthless. 
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
12 Users on Tam 30 total
Epic 2016
25 Users on Epic
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 02:41:08 pm »
Proofpoint is not as customizable in many ways and the built-in rules are not as robust.  The SSN filter does not look for dashes, so any 9 digit number is flagged.  This is very annoying for certificates! 

However, one thing they have that I don't think MX Logic did is the ability to create "do this, but don't do that" rules.  So, I can create a rule that says anything coming from CSR24 is not encrypted regardless of content.  Since we do all our certs through CSR24, this minimizes the auto-encryption issue.  They say they are working on this, I haven't even been able to talk directly to anyone at Proofpoint, it's always a 3rd party.  So are they?  What's the ETA on a fix?

The logs are not as detailed and leave basically EVERYTHING to be desired.  With MX Logic, if an email was auto encrypted, the log would tell you what triggered it like "triggered by content: SSN found" or something like that (it's been a while).  PP logs just say it was encrypted because it matched your encryption rule.  DUH! I want to know WHY it matched that rule.

Searching the archive is annoying, too.  You can't drill down like you could in MX Logic.  I can't search for an email l I sent to Jeff last year on October 19th be tween 7am and 9am that includes the word "Applied".  I have to search for emails sent or received on that date that contains a word or phrase or just all emails in that time frame.  Then, after the results show, on the right there is a little box where I could type my email adders, OR Jeff's OR the word "Applied" and I get to sift through everything that matches manually.

So, like I said, those areas leave EVERYTHING to be desired.  But it otherwise works well.  :o
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Joshua Conner

• True Believer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 02:57:46 pm »
It drives me nuts that if I have admin notification turned on it doesn even show me which rule triggered the email I am getting.  I know MX had that and was very helpful.  Now I get an admin notice and I have to guess is it a credit card number or a dirty word or an SSN which blocks all outlook meeting requests. (so I had to turn off).  So I have ended up ignoring them which isnt good either.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
12 Users on Tam 30 total
Epic 2016
25 Users on Epic

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:45:18 pm »
If that's the kind of functionality you're looking for, I use Zixcorp for that and it works well! (We have a convoluted email flow lol).
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline CitrixBruno

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:21:59 am »
Your friendly neighborhood ShareFile rep here...I've been working with a number of former MXLogic/McAfee clients as the deadline approaches.

ShareFile provides for message body encrytion and/or optional automatic encryption of all outgoing attachments - if the bulk of your sensitive info is confined to attachments, this a nice handsfree way to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks in your agency.  This can also be managed easily on a per-user basis - some having auto-encryption and some having manual encryption.  The best part is that docs are delivered securely with no usernames/passwords/extra emails/verification codes (unless you want them).  One-click access to secure files, even on mobile.  Many times I've heard "do I really want to encrypt every attachment?", until you see how easy it is for the recipient - then, it's not a problem.

Filesize limit is 10GB so there will be no more deliverability issues with large commercial packages or other big files.  Also provides secure drop-off for incoming files, large or not. 

Of course, we provide proof of delivery, reporting, etc.  And we now work inside TAMCloud's remote environment.

As I've perused and tried to participate in AU over the past year, I've seen a number of misconceptions about how we operate, and other ways ShareFile can help (unlimited storage, mobile app with MDM, local sync, permission management, audit trails, drive mapping without local sync, universal print driver for RightSignature integration...)  I know some members of AU met with our team at AppliedNet and some afterwards...If I can answer questions or demonstrate for you, please let me know.

C. Bruno Albert
chris.albert@citrix.com

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:44:12 am by CitrixBruno »

Offline Joshua Conner

• True Believer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 10:42:05 am »
but that is completely different service than mxlogic or proofpoint. 
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
12 Users on Tam 30 total
Epic 2016
25 Users on Epic

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 10:45:50 am »
but that is completely different service than mxlogic or proofpoint.

Yes, what I am looking for is anti-spam and anti-virus mainly, and also maybe archiving.  I've moved my archive twice now, so I'm looking to find a home that will last a few years!  Yes, I know.  Good luck with that.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline CitrixBruno

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 11:37:59 am »
True that we are an encryption service, and not a spam filter or firewall.  We do provide archival for encrypted emails/files, and protect files inbound via ShareFile (antivirus/antimalware), but do not encompass your entire e-mail platform.

As an aside, if you all have any suggestions on standalone antivirus/firewall/filtering services that I can recommend as a complement to ShareFile, I would be happy to hear your recommendation.

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 11:51:15 am »
True that we are an encryption service, and not a spam filter or firewall.  We do provide archival for encrypted emails/files, and protect files inbound via ShareFile (antivirus/antimalware), but do not encompass your entire e-mail platform.

As an aside, if you all have any suggestions on standalone antivirus/firewall/filtering services that I can recommend as a complement to ShareFile, I would be happy to hear your recommendation.

Having just cleaned a Trojan from a system, I believe now more than ever that anti-virus products alone are not sufficient.  I don't think that they handle zero day exploits very well, like the Kovter Trojan that I cleaned.  That's why I installed Malware Bytes along with my anti-virus system. Malware Bytes adds explicit modules to prevent anti-exploit and anti-ransomware, as well as cleaning them.  My AV product would not clean up the Kovter Trojan without downloading a separate file.   It also didn't block it or email me. 

I just added a link to another post on security that I had started.

http://appliedusers.ca/forums/index.php/topic,6150.0.html

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 12:29:18 pm »
Do you by chance have staff checking their personal web mail on your desktops.   Gmail, Yahoo, Hot Mail etc etc..   That's what people need to stop on work computers.   Can compile list and block them.  Kinda by passes your router and security.   Now dependent on the AV to catch and most exploits know AV's and can disable them or fool them.

Nobody should have access to personal email on computers.  Stop that and you'll stop re-occurring Trojans as I know this isn't the 1st go round for you.

We have MX Logic/McAfee but I'm likely going to return to AppRiver.   They do have a lot of controls/logs and more.   I just like MX Logic use of wildcards.

If you allow zip files, stop!  I know some people and carriers at times do but screw them!  Not worth risk and with today's bandwidth and inbox sizes, no need to allow that risk.   Zips even when used are less than 5% of email/attachments,  just not worth risk period!  Zips are like VHS, let it go.  Don't live in past don't need compression as much today and when you do can you find an exception but allowing incoming zip files, asking for trouble with Trojans.  My opinion..  :)

Sad part even if you block them, going back to my original point.  If you allow web mail access to staff, you'll be infected in no time.  BLOCK web mail!   NO Gmail, any personal email on workstations.   That will do more for you than any purchased solution.  Refuse zip files!  JMO!
Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 02:24:33 pm »
Thanks, Bob.  I don't allow any of the *Mail web access, so I don't think that's it.  I have noticed this problem on Facebook of all places.  The ads on the sidebar are periodically infected and redirect to a javascript download site.  I haven't clicked on them, but someone clicked on that was an "emergency firefox update".   

We block password protected ZIP files, any ZIP file, packed and regular executables, and some other file types.  I'm working on Javascript to see what kind of affect that will have on usability.

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 02:34:36 pm »
I don't block zip files, I scan inside of them.  I know this is an added risk and is not 100% perfect, but that is what I have been doing here for many years.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
MarkPiontek.com