Least expensive way to obtain MVRs?

Started by DebAmstutz, July 21, 2016, 12:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebAmstutz

We have used IN.gov for years to get (mostly commercial lines) MVR reports.  The cost for this is $95.00/year with a minimum of $15.00 (each MVR is $7.50) per month.  If we request only one, we are charged $7.50 to equal the $15.00 minimum.  If we do not request any MVRs, there is no charge for the month.

What else is out there that would cost less?  We sometimes pay $7.50 because we only ask for 1 MVR, but that happens maybe twice a year.

Any suggestions welcome!  Thanks in advance.  :)
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jan Regnier

We also us IN.gov.......Before that we used the Big I but they don't do that anymore.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

DebAmstutz

Jan, do you think IN.gov is expensive?  I'm not sure why the cost of MVRs has become an issue at this time, but it has.
Deb Amstutz

DebAmstutz

Anyone out there using Samba?  Evidently we "should be able to recoup startup cost" in a couple of years as they have a one-time $150 free and after that it's $9 per MVR.  We can obtain MVRs for any state.

Does it work well for you?  Not?  I
Deb Amstutz

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: DebAmstutz on July 22, 2016, 08:44:43 AM
Anyone out there using Samba?  Evidently we "should be able to recoup startup cost" in a couple of years as they have a one-time $150 free and after that it's $9 per MVR.  We can obtain MVRs for any state.

Yes, but I don't remember paying the $150, but then we came to them because they bought are previous provider, Softech International.  We haven't had any problems with them, and they appear to be fast and reliable.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

DebAmstutz

Deb Amstutz

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: DebAmstutz on July 22, 2016, 10:03:28 AM
Thanks, Jeff.

You're welcome.  If you end up going with them, I would negotiate the $150 setup fee.  That seems out of line to me.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

Quote from: DebAmstutz on July 21, 2016, 03:08:24 PM
Jan, do you think IN.gov is expensive?  I'm not sure why the cost of MVRs has become an issue at this time, but it has.

We didn't think so.  You do have to pay a "minimum" if you don't exceed their threshold for the month.  $7.50@ seem reasonable.
Jan Regnier

DebAmstutz

Jan, how do you obtain MVRs for out-of-state drivers?  This is why Samba is being recommended.  They can get MVRs from any state (some state fees are a LOT more than Indiana, some are a lot less).
Deb Amstutz

Toni Forte

Quote from: DebAmstutz on July 22, 2016, 08:44:43 AM

We have used Samba for years, used to be called American Driving Records, then it was bought by Core Logic, then it went back to ADR and now its Samba.  I can give you a price sheet, each state charges a different fee but its automated thru RealTime and that is a real plus for us. 

NOTE:  By using RealTime our passwords are not complex enough for the State of WA so we go thru iix.xom for those and the State MO MVR's are not considered "Instant" thru RealTime so we have to order them thru Samba's website (webmvrs).
Toni Forte
Systems Administrator
Cline Wood, a Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC company
Sagitta/ImageRight, CSR24, Server 2008 R2, 2012, VMware, ESXi
Former TAM2014MU1, eTfile 4.8

Jan Regnier

Quote from: DebAmstutz on July 22, 2016, 10:57:31 AM
Jan, how do you obtain MVRs for out-of-state drivers?  This is why Samba is being recommended.  They can get MVRs from any state (some state fees are a LOT more than Indiana, some are a lot less).

Either the company gets it or the driver gets it on their own.
Jan Regnier

DebAmstutz

Deb Amstutz

Jim Jensen

We use IN.gov (have used them since they first set it up). They charge my charge card automatically - there's no minimum amount for that setup, just the annual fee. Like Jan, for the few out of state licenses we need, we run those through the carrier. Honestly, we don't order many through IN.gov anymore either. The carriers have it integrated enough that they usually order through them. None of the carriers reimburse our MVR fees now, so we typically only order some on commercial clients to validate if a driver/potential driver is acceptable or not in our view.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Pam

Checking in to see if anyone has used  Intellicorp Records, Inc  for checking MVR's, Backgrounds through Philadelphia to help assist customer for pre-employment of drivers?.

Pam Deanovich
35 TAM User in house

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Pam on January 17, 2018, 02:05:29 PM
Checking in to see if anyone has used  Intellicorp Records, Inc  for checking MVR's, Backgrounds through Philadelphia to help assist customer for pre-employment of drivers?.

I'm not sure what you mean by "helping assist customers" - is your agency running the reports for the client? The Fair Credit Reporting Act applies and you would need an authorization from the prospective employees granting authorization for you (the agency) to run such reports. When we run MVRs for client prospective employees, all we can tell them is whether they are acceptable to the insurance company as a driver or not.

I haven't used Intellicorp, but several carriers recommend them for background checks and we've had clients that used them in the past. I never saw the reports myself to offer any feedback on the reports.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis