Main Menu

HP1320tn - blank pages

Started by Hans Manhave, September 10, 2015, 02:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

If this printer has toner, but just pops out completely blank pages instead of printed ones, is the printer trash or is there some cheap part that will make this work again?  Already replaced with other equipment, just trying to figure if it should be completely disposed of or be a "single purpose" unit somewhere.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jan Regnier

Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Golas

Make sure there's no piece of paper, etc blocking the laser slot, but it does sound like the laser or corona may not be working at all. Kind of odd that it would still print as usually once something like that fails they usually error/stop working.

What I used to do to kinda test/check things would be to print something (with substantial coverage like a solid black block or picture), then open the printer mid-print where it should be halfway thru the page, and look at the toner cartridge drum. If you see an image on it, then the corona is just not pulling it to the paper. If you dont see an image, chances are the laser isn't working.

(readers digest crash course on laser printer...laser imprints a charged image on drum...drum spins and picks up toner against a squeegee...then static electricity (corona) pulls the toner off the drum and into the paper, then the fuser melts the toner into the paper.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Jan Regnier on September 10, 2015, 04:01:18 PM
Hans

Check out this info and see if applies ....

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/posts/43636

Thank you, I found sufficient suggestions there that I have it printing fine again now.  No idea which one specifically it was.  But it works!
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jan Regnier

Quote from: FWA on September 15, 2015, 11:11:09 AM
Quote from: Jan Regnier on September 10, 2015, 04:01:18 PM
Hans

Check out this info and see if applies ....

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/posts/43636

Thank you, I found sufficient suggestions there that I have it printing fine again now.  No idea which one specifically it was.  But it works!

Great - love it when we find something that actually works!
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Jeff Golas on September 11, 2015, 11:45:25 AM
Make sure there's no piece of paper, etc blocking the laser slot, but it does sound like the laser or corona may not be working at all. Kind of odd that it would still print as usually once something like that fails they usually error/stop working.

What I used to do to kinda test/check things would be to print something (with substantial coverage like a solid black block or picture), then open the printer mid-print where it should be halfway thru the page, and look at the toner cartridge drum. If you see an image on it, then the corona is just not pulling it to the paper. If you dont see an image, chances are the laser isn't working.

(readers digest crash course on laser printer...laser imprints a charged image on drum...drum spins and picks up toner against a squeegee...then static electricity (corona) pulls the toner off the drum and into the paper, then the fuser melts the toner into the paper.

Right when I was about to try this 'open while printing to inspect image on drum', I noticed that it was actually putting the image on paper.  One of the suggestions in Jan's link must have worked.  Nothing had broken of, same toner cartridge, no dust anywhere.  Maybe it even was something on the toner cartridge because I moved or touched all the pieces the could be jiggled, shifted etc.

I need this printer just to hold legal paper so that is what it will do now.

I also have a broken HP4200, but I think I will throw that one out (to the recycle people).

Jeff Golas

Nooo...4200's are workhorses! I have two 4300's (same family) with almost 2 million prints on the odometer (each).
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on September 15, 2015, 03:13:36 PM
Nooo...4200's are workhorses! I have two 4300's (same family) with almost 2 million prints on the odometer (each).

We threw away two 4200 or 4250's at some point because they needed new fusers or drum or something.  So long ago I can't even remember.  I did like them, but never looked back!
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Golas

Fusers are a common failure item, but also considered a consumable with the 4200/4300 family (and prob all new lasers). A maintenance kit includes all the wearable items including a fuser, all pickup rollers, and a transfer roller.

I just like standardizing on one and keeping them as long as I can, but likely next year I'm going to look into new printers I believe, at least to replace the two high mileage 4300's. They still run great and paper and ink are still paper and ink, but these units are showing their age a little.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Hans Manhave

If one can buy a full color MFP for $500-$700, it is hard to justify buying high dollar consumables for old mono printers.  Not that consumables are ever inexpensive, even for those $500/700 units, but one gets scanning, copying, color printing and even faxing if one still uses that, with those new machines.

Power in the East Texas jungle is very unstable.  Even if I get a "new" $25 JetDirect card for the 4200, I'm still not assured that the printer will perform.  Just as likely that the whole unit is toast.  The nice part was that it had two 500 page input bins.  That way it had legal and letter. 

Bob

I know HP 4200 and 4250 are coveted.  Most any copy/repair place will tell you.  New printers don't last cost more in consumables.   Those are solid reliable machines and why easily sold on Craigs list or to anyone.  People actually seeks these out.  Very easy to maintain and keep going like classic cars.  250-300 on a new fuser is nothing..  People will buy it knowing needs a fuser just how reliable and long lasting these devices are.

Jeff Golas

FWIW maint kit (fuser) lifespan is supposed to be around 125,000 pages, but they usually last longer. I've had them fail sooner and I get them replaced under warranty if they do. Seems like I do the fuser every 1.5-2 years or so depending on the printers (the 1.5-2yr is for our workhorses).
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Hans Manhave

This beautiful HP4200tn has 86,748 pages remaining on the maintenance kit.  The black print cartridge, Q1338A, has 62% or 9,727 estimated pages remaining.

Total usage of a mere 423,003.5 pages.  Please note the ".5".  Legal 20,533.5 and Letter 402,466.0.  Coverage of 4.793%.

It is one of the early models as it has serial number 13414!  A "First Install Date" of 20111205, practically brand new, I guess.

There must be gold in them thar hills!  I see eBay has them for $175 - $225.  This 4200tn comes without the 'n'.  As the 615n expired.  But a 620n can be had for $25 on Amazon.  Now considering getting one of those 620n jetdirect cards.

After the IIISi and 4Si models I have not been impressed by any HP model.  Not the 5Si, 8000, nor any of the inkjet/officejet.  Reason why we went Ricoh and then Oki.  We had the 5Si and 8000 models completely decked out with large capacity input trays, sorting bins, mailboxes etc.  Just not reliable.  Also have had large and smaller HP inkjets (2500 model?), not great ideas.

Bob

LOL!   Think of those 2 models being like the OLD washing machines ran forever easy to fix.  New ones well...  More expensive and always break.   I think even HP caught on and began making them with less quality.   Hurts business when products run forever.   Honestly I had no clue..  I was looking at replacing simply because they were old when friends in copier business said don't do it.   In many eyes some of the best made printers and easy to fix and maintain.  Why people still seek them out and most would gladly take off your hands.  :)

Just don't make them like that anymore.

Debbie Fuson

I've had good luck with HP 4000-4300 series printers.   They just keep going and going.    The only one that was  a problem child was a 4050 that didn't like running off a power strip.  Once we plugged it directly into a wall, it stopped jamming.  All other issues were related to user abuse.    (Ever had someone slam a tray in so hard that they broke it?  I'm talking a chunk of the front cover broke off.)

I got rid of most of the 4000's when we moved and merged offices in 2011, but I held onto 4200/4300's.  All the heavy printing is now handled by multifunction copiers, so the HP's don't have to do much anymore.  But as long as I can get toner and fusers, and they keep printing, I'll keep them around.  I have a whole box of various rollers and extra printers in storage that I can rob for parts, too. 

The oldest 4300 in use right now has 1,454,002 pages on it.  There is one in storage that might have more than that. 
Debbie Fuson
Brown & Brown of Tennessee
Vision 6.4 and Inscope

Jeff Golas

Quote from: FWA on September 16, 2015, 04:31:19 PMThere must be gold in them thar hills!  I see eBay has them for $175 - $225.  This 4200tn comes without the 'n'.  As the 615n expired.  But a 620n can be had for $25 on Amazon.  Now considering getting one of those 620n jetdirect cards.

The 620's are rock solid and don't fail like the 615n - that was the other definitely known problem.

And as far as Ricoh - they are BANNED from the building. Never ever ever ever again. I keep a baseball bat under my desk with "in case of Ricoh" inscribed on it.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Hans Manhave

A Ricoh 3245C with 1,670,000+ copies and a Ricoh 1060 with 1,150,000+.  The 3245C is very finicky, but the older 1060 is one great machine now mostly used as a single pass duplex scanner.  The Oki machines have been very well behaved and produce very nice output, I think, on all paper thicknesses that we feed it.  Cardstock, banner, stickers and regular #20 paper.

I appreciate the support I have experienced here.  Hopefully that HP4200 will have a longer life as soon as we can plug it in again.  I'll have two working machines again.

I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 premier (two actually) that I don't even want to talk about.  Those are staying in line for the hardware recycler!

Hans Manhave

4200 is working fine again after receipt and installation of a 620 Jetdirect card today.

Thanks for all the help!

Jeff Golas

Yay! One more piece of gear saved from the landfill (for now).
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Jeff Golas on September 21, 2015, 03:43:56 PM
Yay! One more piece of gear saved from the landfill (for now).

Yes, that is good.  But, I do not just toss those things.  A recycling firm comes and picks up the old equipment and does whatever those hardware recyclers do.  Then gives me a certificate stating something.  Been a while, don't recall what it says.

Still, nice to have it working.  Now need to make it someone's baby.  :)

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: FWA on September 21, 2015, 01:13:27 PM
4200 is working fine again after receipt and installation of a 620 Jetdirect card today.

Thanks for all the help!

I can remember when the JetDirect cards were hot technology, and a couple hundred bucks (back when a hundred bucks meant something).  Now you can find them for $10-$20 on EBay.  Guess that was back in the "Golden Modem" days.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Lynne Desrochers

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on September 22, 2015, 09:01:09 AM
I can remember when the JetDirect cards were hot technology, and a couple hundred bucks (back when a hundred bucks meant something).  Now you can find them for $10-$20 on EBay.  Guess that was back in the "Golden Modem" days.

Are you trying to get them all to start talking about how young they are again?
Lynne Desrochers

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on September 22, 2015, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on September 22, 2015, 09:01:09 AM

Are you trying to get them all to start talking about how young they are again?

They ARE young!  It's pretty bad when I think of Mark Piontek as young, but the newer users think of him as being "older".   
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Pretty sure I just threw away two JetDirect cards...  :-\
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security