HP1100A printer/copier not printing

Started by DebAmstutz, August 26, 2015, 11:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebAmstutz

Yes, the printer in the subject line is a dinosaur, but until yesterday, it was working just fine.

Yesterday, a new user was added to the network and that printer should be working for that user but it will not print.  The printer has been unplugged and replugged, the workstation has been restarted, shut down and restarted, the printer has been deleted from the workstation and readded, and nothing prints.
The workstation has a 2nd network ID/password for the other user.  I wouldn't think that would make a difference.  The only other option I can think of is a cable problem and I haven't yet found another cable here to try.  The thing that gets me is that it was working fine before the new user was added, and to my knowledge, nothing else was changed on the workstation.  It's just goofy.

The IT guy hasn't found anything yet either.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

How is it connected?  With a USB cable, or an ethernet/"internet" type cable?   Is it shared off from another computer?  How it is connected may give insights into what is going wrong.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

DebAmstutz

The cable has a USB connection at the computer end (it plugs into a USB port) and a "pin" formation connection on the printer end.

I think the other user's network ID/password was tried yesterday afternoon and it still didn't print.

I've been busy with other stuff and haven't had the time necessary to devote to the matter, unfortunately. 

They don't print a lot of stuff up there, but it's good if printing can be done there due to the necessity of answering the phone.
Deb Amstutz

DebAmstutz

Deb Amstutz

Mark

Maybe there is a stuck job on the computer?  Check that c:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS doesn't have any tmp, spl, or shd files in it.  If so, stop the spooler service, delete them, start the spooler service.
Mark Piontek, MBA

DebAmstutz

Deb Amstutz

Coral

Unplugged and replugged - do you mean the power cord or the cord to the computer?

Can they print to other printers?
Coral Benton
Epic Online

DebAmstutz

Unpluggedreplugged from the power source and also from the workstation.  This workstation has no other physical printers available right now.  The receptionist rarely has large print jobs, and the other printers are too far away to be of practical use.
Deb Amstutz

Mark

Maybe it's not compatible with hosted Exchange or Office 365 so it needs to be replaced  ;)
Mark Piontek, MBA

DebAmstutz

Mark, it worked fine before the 2nd network ID was added to that workstation.  We've had Office365 for a couple of weeks now and Exchange for a lot longer.  It printed just fine until this week when the new person's network ID was added.
Deb Amstutz

Mark

Quote from: DebAmstutz on August 27, 2015, 11:45:18 AM
Mark, it worked fine before the 2nd network ID was added to that workstation.  We've had Office365 for a couple of weeks now and Exchange for a lot longer.  It printed just fine until this week when the new person's network ID was added.

I was teasing Deb.  That thing is a dinosaur, that's all.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jim Jensen

It sounds like a good reason to get a new one honestly. The time being spent to try to figure out is better used on something else, or simply swap for a different printer that works with that station. I would say the only reason its still working on that station at all is because it also has an updated OS on the computer. I had a few of those a long time ago and don't even use one at home. Finally ran into compatibility issues with them.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

Gotcha on the teasing.  ;D

I know it's a dinosaur but it has a small footprint for all it can do.

It's working as of about 12:10 this afternoon.  While the receptionist was at lunch, I manned the front desk, called the IT guy and after he connected and deleted the printer, I unplugged and replugged the power cord twice and voila! we have a printer again!   :D

It had to be karma somehow.  I'd tried that same thing yesterday, but only unplugged/replugged the power cord once.  Now I know to try twice!
Deb Amstutz

Gene Foraker

I still have an 1100A at my desk.  It works great and prints checks in the proper order.   My current page count is only 52409. 
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

DebAmstutz

The HP 1100A printer at the receptionist's desk has a new problem:

The printer is showing offline in the morning after the workstation has been turned off at night.

If it's put back online, it will print after about 5 minutes or so.

I asked the IT guy why and he says it's because the workstation is 10 years old and running XP.  I do not believe that reason because my workstation is older than that one, is running XP, and my HP1100A printer does not go offline after I turn off my computer.  Granted, I don't leave it off all night because it's running NU, but I do occasionally turn it off during my lunch hour just to clean it out at times.  I've never had my printer go offline.

My theory on the receptionist's printer is that it's going offline because there are 2 network ID's and passwords for that particular workstation.  The printer never went offline before that workstation was given the 2nd network ID/password.

Is there any chance my theory is correct?
Deb Amstutz

Mark

Quote from: DebAmstutz on August 31, 2015, 09:27:22 AM

We have nearly 10 people that logon and off at the front desk with their own credentials and do not have a problem.  I would suggest that your IT's answer is questionable since it's a 10 year old computer, running an old OS, and and old printer.  Seems like it should be right at home and working perfectly (even though I suggested replacing it).
Mark Piontek, MBA

DebAmstutz

Do you have roaming profiles, Mark?  We do not. 
Deb Amstutz

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA

Jim Jensen

I asked the IT guy why and he says it's because the workstation is 10 years old and running XP.

Whatever the reason for it going offline, I think he's trying to say how he feels about dealing with it  ;D

BTW, you guys should look ahead and plan accordingly - I can verify that Tam 2015 will NOT work on XP stations. It will not run the  asclient.exe update process to run TAM. I forgot I hadn't moved the new computer to the scanning station and the one still there has XP. Oops.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jim Jensen on August 31, 2015, 10:54:42 AM
I asked the IT guy why and he says it's because the workstation is 10 years old and running XP.

Whatever the reason for it going offline, I think he's trying to say how he feels about dealing with it  ;D

BTW, you guys should look ahead and plan accordingly - I can verify that Tam 2015 will NOT work on XP stations. It will not run the  asclient.exe update process to run TAM. I forgot I hadn't moved the new computer to the scanning station and the one still there has XP. Oops.

But does ASClient really need to be run, or is this just a slick way of calling ASUpdate /rr (probably old, but just for illustration)?  If Wintam.exe runs after the AsUpdate equivalent is run, does it matter?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on August 31, 2015, 11:06:23 AM
Quote from: Jim Jensen on August 31, 2015, 10:54:42 AM

But does ASClient really need to be run, or is this just a slick way of calling ASUpdate /rr (probably old, but just for illustration)?  If Wintam.exe runs after the AsUpdate equivalent is run, does it matter?

Running either wintam.exe or wintam.exe /rr yields the same response - local controls do not match, run tamclient.exe to fix.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

So, if we do not have roaming profiles, then two profiles on one workstation could possibly be the problem with the printer?  Since everything was okay before the additional profile going onto the workstation, I would think that it would have to be a rare coincidence of some kind that the printer stopped working normally.

I know that we can't upgrade to TAM2015 due to a few workstations still running XP (mine included).  I don't know why a gradual upgrading of workstations hasn't been done.  Funny thing is today the retired owner got a new workstation that is at least Windows 7.
Deb Amstutz

Mark

I'm not sure how or where profiles would be the culprit here.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

The HP 1100A printer at the receptionist's desk has a new problem:

The printer is showing offline in the morning after the workstation has been turned off at night.

If it's put back online, it will print after about 5 minutes or so.

I asked the IT guy why and he says it's because the workstation is 10 years old and running XP.  I do not believe that reason because my workstation is older than that one, is running XP, and my HP1100A printer does not go offline after I turn off my computer.  Granted, I don't leave it off all night because it's running NU, but I do occasionally turn it off during my lunch hour just to clean it out at times.  I've never had my printer go offline.

My theory on the receptionist's printer is that it's going offline because there are 2 network ID's and passwords for that particular workstation.  The printer never went offline before that workstation was given the 2nd network ID/password.

Is this printer shared, or otherwise connected to another computer in any way?  It almost sounds like it is a network connectivity issue, and who knows what could be causing that.  I will go back to my standard advice for unexplained phenomena - Update the BIOS, network card and if you're really superstitions, throw in the video drivers too!

Bob

There is an issue with sharing a printer off an XP computer with Windows 7 computers not seeing it.

DebAmstutz

Deb Amstutz

Bob

So this is a local printer used and attached to the workstation.   You're saying one user can see and use printer but if another logs in on same computer, it can't see the printer.   Usually printers are available for all users but why not try and install the local printer on the user who can't see it.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: DebAmstutz on August 31, 2015, 02:54:32 PM
But...this printer is not shared.

OK.  Then does unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable help at all?  I'm wondering then if it is an issue where something goes to sleep and just doesn't wake up when it gets a signal.  It may also be as simple as a bad cable.  If you've got a spare cable, give that a try.

Jan Regnier

OR....it's just by chance the printer is dying at the same time a change was made and it LOOKS like it was because of the change....
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

DebAmstutz

I haven't tried logging on as the other user yet, but I may do that in the morning, turn off the workstation and see if the printer goes offline for that user.  If it doesn't, then the printer just doesn't like the new employee....lol.
Deb Amstutz

DebAmstutz

Just had to share this - my old reliable HP LaserJet 1100A printer has been acting in a cantankerous manner lately.  It wasn't wanting to pull paper through to print.  It began when running NU and I thought maybe there was a problem with the temperature in the room being too cold and affecting the printer in a negative way.  I didn't move to this room until last spring when temperatures were more moderate, so my old printer had never experienced a room as cold as this one is overnight.  Then, the paper caught in the printer during the day after things had warmed up.  The IT guy wan in yesterday to check on something else, and (since I'd tried everything I could think of to remedy the situation-cleaning rollers that I could reach, blowing dust out, etc.) asked if the laser cartridge could be the cause of the problem.  He said the toner cartridge could "never" cause a problem with the paper pulling through the printer.  Well, this morning, I changed to a different cartridge, and it's working great again.

When I first put the "bad" cartridge into the printer, the paper problem didn't happen right away.  Otherwise, I'd have suspected the toner cartridge much sooner and changed it out.  Just thought it was funny that the tech said the toner couldn't cause that kind of problem, but apparently, it sure did.  :o
Deb Amstutz