Sharing a Google Calendar in Outlook

Started by Jeff Zylstra, June 09, 2010, 11:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Just wondering if anyone is using Google's calendar function to share a calendar in Outlook?  I was under the impression that you could edit the calendar on Google's website, and that it would automatically update your calendar in Outlook with no further action on the user's part. I was wanting to use the "free" version of their calendar, not the paid version that includes their E-mail hosting along with calendar and contact sharing plug ins.   

Our E-mail is not hosted from an Exchange server, so native support for this is not possible. I only need this for a time off/out of office calendar and don't need syncing with mobile devices, etc....  Does anyone know if this is possible with the free version of Google calendar and if so, how it works? Thanks in advance. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bloody Jack Kidd

I have not tried with Outlook, but I have sync'd Google Calendar with a wide variety of other applications, notably Apple's iCal, KDE KOrganizer and my Blackberry.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Matthew Udovich

We have our family calendar in Google and I pull a read only copy into my outlook at work, no problems. I can edit the calendar from my phone or from a web browser and the changes pull into Outlook, if I have the calendar open ,I need to get out of calendar view and come back in, but otherwise no issues.

We have Office 07, i go into account settings and there is a tab for internet calendars, I just get the address from my google calendar (the private one-its in account settings) and put that in there for the location and presto.

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

We use the no longer supported 'Calgoo' utility to do this.  I didn't set it up.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

<blush>Yes it works great; especially if you install the correct utility!  I thought I installed the synchronizer, but it turns out it was Google "gears" instead.  Whatever that is.  Everything is working great.  Thanks guys!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop