New Laptop what would you choose?

Started by Joshua Conner, April 07, 2015, 09:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua Conner

I am moving my copy of office 2010  I just dont like 2013.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Joshua Conner on April 09, 2015, 01:43:31 PM
I am moving my copy of office 2010  I just dont like 2013.

I don't like Office 2013 either.   Outlook 2013 is hard to read because there's no contrast on the screen, and I REALLY hate the licensing hassles.  Much prefer 2010.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Ric

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 09, 2015, 08:57:22 AM
Quote from: Ric on April 08, 2015, 03:20:01 PM
Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 08, 2015, 08:48:45 AM
Quote from: Joshua Conner on April 07, 2015, 03:07:56 PM
Surface just doesnt work for me.  Screen is too small.  too few ports on it.  I am looking at the thinkpad x1 carbon right now.

I can understand that myself. Surface works well for casual use and typical portable tasks for me, but isn't quite the full laptop replacement yet. I hope it or something similar is by the time I'm ready to replace the Thinkpad I bought last year.

Jim,

I'm curious what the Surface Pro 3 lacks that a notebook has and you need?

I am a power user and Microsoft's tag line was proven true with me "The tablet that can replace your notebook"  and it did so in a week or less.

HD Space and screen size - the 3 is a little larger than the 2 I have, but still a bit small. My laptop is my home PC, so it has music and photos on it. Yes, I could use an external drive for that, and plug into an external monitor for larger screen size, but I get both in the same package with my Thinkpad. Remote access on my Surface is tough without a separate monitor since the remote's screen isn't full-size, making it even harder to see. Perhaps one difference between us Ric is where I use mine, too. I don't sit at a desk at home to use it - I'm in my LazyBoy chair, or even the bed in the evening if working late.

I'm guessing you have a ton of video or an amazingly large music library because I have 256GB in my Surface Pro 3 and still have about 40% free and that's after transferring all the music, videos and pictures (I have thousands of photos) that I have accumulated over the last 20 years or more.  I too use my surface at home on my recliner etc.  and find it the screen is plenty big for close up work. it's only when I use it in a desk environment that I want / need bigger screens. so the 21" LCD on my desk suits the bill just fine.

dang I loved my Dell Latitude for years but dropping down from 15 to 12 was not a big deal.  if you are conditioned to a huge notebook screen then I could see that being culture shock.  plus connecting remotely with different sized screens would be a PITA too.

Thanx for letting me know!
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Ric

Quote from: Ric on April 09, 2015, 03:42:02 PM
Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 09, 2015, 08:57:22 AM
Quote from: Ric on April 08, 2015, 03:20:01 PM
Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 08, 2015, 08:48:45 AM
Quote from: Joshua Conner on April 07, 2015, 03:07:56 PM
Surface just doesnt work for me.  Screen is too small.  too few ports on it.  I am looking at the thinkpad x1 carbon right now.

I can understand that myself. Surface works well for casual use and typical portable tasks for me, but isn't quite the full laptop replacement yet. I hope it or something similar is by the time I'm ready to replace the Thinkpad I bought last year.

Jim,

I'm curious what the Surface Pro 3 lacks that a notebook has and you need?

I am a power user and Microsoft's tag line was proven true with me "The tablet that can replace your notebook"  and it did so in a week or less.

HD Space and screen size - the 3 is a little larger than the 2 I have, but still a bit small. My laptop is my home PC, so it has music and photos on it. Yes, I could use an external drive for that, and plug into an external monitor for larger screen size, but I get both in the same package with my Thinkpad. Remote access on my Surface is tough without a separate monitor since the remote's screen isn't full-size, making it even harder to see. Perhaps one difference between us Ric is where I use mine, too. I don't sit at a desk at home to use it - I'm in my LazyBoy chair, or even the bed in the evening if working late.

I'm guessing you have a ton of video or an amazingly large music library because I have 256GB in my Surface Pro 3 and still have about 40% free and that's after transferring all the music, videos and pictures (I have thousands of photos) that I have accumulated over the last 20 years or more.  I too use my surface at home on my recliner etc.  and find it the screen is plenty big for close up work. it's only when I use it in a desk environment that I want / need bigger screens. so the 21" LCD on my desk suits the bill just fine.

dang I loved my Dell Latitude for years but dropping down from 15 to 12 was not a big deal.  if you are conditioned to a huge notebook screen then I could see that being culture shock.  plus connecting remotely with different sized screens would be a PITA too.

Thanx for letting me know!

BTW: the Surface P3 has a micro SD slot and reads up to 256GB.  once I start getting HD cramp I'll pick up an SD card and use that as a semi permanently installed D: drive
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jim Jensen

The Surface 2 only has a 10" screen. Maybe the 3 would be large enough. Haven't used one yet. My old laptop had a 256GB HD, which was nearly full. Not so much on it now, I don't think (a lot usually gets cleaned out when migrating), but I wanted 1 TB to make sure I wouldn't have that problem for a few years, especially if I get my own GoPro. I have a new DDSLR, so I'm bound to be eating HD space with that.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Ric

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 09, 2015, 04:02:25 PM
The Surface 2 only has a 10" screen. Maybe the 3 would be large enough. Haven't used one yet. My old laptop had a 256GB HD, which was nearly full. Not so much on it now, I don't think (a lot usually gets cleaned out when migrating), but I wanted 1 TB to make sure I wouldn't have that problem for a few years, especially if I get my own GoPro. I have a new DDSLR, so I'm bound to be eating HD space with that.

The 12" screen is nice - and big enough for me for moderate and some heavy use. 

You can get the Surface Pro 3 with up to 1/2 TB although it gets a bit pricy and then as I mentioned before it can handle a 256 GB micro SD card giving it a max storage capacity of .75 TB.   swapping out the micro SD's could help in the future too
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365