Main Menu

Drive eraser hardware

Started by Hans Manhave, March 20, 2015, 05:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

DBAN (Derricks Boot and Nuke) is all you need.  Free.  In fact, there is even a little overhead in that sinc all you really need is the wipe utility, but DBAN is convenient and free.  Unless you need PERC RAID drivers..
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Gene Foraker

As long as you are going to get serious, CCleaner has a wipe utility which you can choose to either wipe the entire disc or just the free space.    That would enable you to delete all info other than the OS and then wipe the free space on a PC before donating to a church or school.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Mark

Quote from: Gene Foraker on March 31, 2015, 02:25:31 PM
As long as you are going to get serious, CCleaner has a wipe utility which you can choose to either wipe the entire disc or just the free space.    That would enable you to delete all info other than the OS and then wipe the free space on a PC before donating to a church or school.

Not sure how confident I'd be in CCleaner's wipe.  I just read about it on their website, but the fact that it's leaving anything intact would make me feel less than secure.  It seems that it leaves the file system intact.  It even mentions that the Drive Wiper tool leaves the disk formatted.  I wonder if it wipes it and then formats it?  Maybe this is good for most, but I like the DOD standard full nuke.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

Maybe I should offer a service where people can mail me the drives to be destroyed and I can create a video of the event?  Drives are so cheap now, everybody can buy one for $60 or less at BestBuy and put a free Linux distro on it.  Nobody likes Windows or Internet Exploder anyway.  One would have to pay for shipping and insurance against loss/exploitation etc. 
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein