Policy Search query

Started by Andrew Carrick, May 20, 2010, 04:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

I'm doing some work on analysing our clients who have only one policy. I use a Customer Policy Search and choose "Customers w/only 1 policy", and get a figure around 2,900.

However if I run a search for all customers, then subtotal and see who only has one, I get a figure of 4,700. I'm only looking at live business. How come they are different, am I missing something?
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

JohnGage

I don't know how that search defines 'account with one policy.'  Is it one subset of billing screens (1001, 1002, ...) or only a single billing screen (1001)?  Same question reversed - for your project would you consider a PL Auto + Home package (1001, 1002) as one policy? 

When I have projects like this I always dump the entire database into Excel and use Excel and/or Access to get the reports I want.  There is probably a quicker method but this way I trust the output.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

Andrew Carrick

Tend to agree with you on the excel dump John. Interesting point about sub-policies, we don't use them over here, not sure if that is a general UK thing or just us. So that should simplify things for TAM Reports.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Andrew Carrick

I think I've figured this out after some tests. "Customers with only one policy" gives you eaxctly that (well, duh, you say). However what I was assuming was that if customer had two policy lines but only one of them was live, the search would list the live one, if I just select live statuses. Not so. Therefore as John suggests, excel is the way to go. And thus we achieve enlightenment.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on May 21, 2010, 08:20:04 AM
I think I've figured this out after some tests. "Customers with only one policy" gives you eaxctly that (well, duh, you say). However what I was assuming was that if customer had two policy lines but only one of them was live, the search would list the live one, if I just select live statuses. Not so. Therefore as John suggests, excel is the way to go. And thus we achieve enlightenment.

This would also seem to imply that a Homeowners client with Inland Marine coverage, would not qualify as a "single policy" since the Inland Marine application is set up as sub-policy. In the States, that's almost always a single policy from the carrier, but carries 2 lines in Applied since there is a separate application for inland marine (or substitute watercraft if used more specifically than the I.M. for those risks). Is this correct?

It would sound that the "single policy" report would have it's problems anyway since we also have multi-line PL policies with auto and home, but a single policy number and would look the same to a report engine as a HO-IM policy.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Andrew Carrick

Might be worth someone testing those circumstances.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK