Android Kitkat and other releases

Started by Hans Manhave, May 29, 2014, 01:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

I figure I place this question here instead of at the mobile etc branch.

Anybody know how Android updates are released or worked on?  Some of us Kitkat users would like to see a more functional OS.  This is not just me, new at this OS, but others whose phones updated from some previous Android release to the Kitkat version.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

The carriers push the updates to you, so it's all dependent on your carrier.  Unless you root the phone and install your own versions - which can be pretty slick!

What are your specific complaints about the phone's OS?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

Droid DNA.  Rebooting on its own.  Only got this problem after the update to Kitkat was pushed out.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: FWA on May 29, 2014, 04:45:34 PM
Droid DNA.  Rebooting on its own.  Only got this problem after the update to Kitkat was pushed out.

Sounds like you got one of those "candy bar" phones.  ;)    Sorry, couldn't resist.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Quote from: FWA on May 29, 2014, 04:45:34 PM

That is an HTC issue.  Googling, sounds like it's been a "known issue" in the past and they had released an update that was supposed to fix it but doesn't seem to have resolved it.  I'm getting this information from things posted online one year ago.

I LOVED my HTC Incredible, but it was not without it's quirks.  I swore I'd never get a Motorola, but I did and I love it.  Battery lasts a long time, features are good, and it doesn't really do anything it's not supposed to.  AND I didn't even have to root it (which I may still do eventually).

Speaking of rooting, since it's an HTC, I bet 2 things: 1) Rooting is simple; 2) there are ROMs available.

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security