Plymouth Rock / Palisades OpenDNS

Started by Lynne Desrochers, April 23, 2014, 03:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Compatibility view is not going to fix it if you can't resolve the correct address.  This is for sure a DNS problem.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

Out of IE, change DNS on workstation to 8.8.8.8, flushdns, remove IE cache, verify ipconfig /all to confirm new DNS in use, load IE10, browse to site, make sure compat mode is used for this site.

I'm out of ammo and will sit on the bench.  :(

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

That's basically what I suggested yesterday.

8.8.8.8 returns only the correct address.

The only thing I don't understand is why that if I use Open DNS too, that I don't have the same problem.  I can get to the page even thoguh a manual lookup gives the fail address first.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Silly question, but could a router setting or anti-virus setting be interfering with DNS?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

This may actually be a problem with palisades authoritative DNS servers, or something else they do not have setup correctly.  But why it only seems to effect Open DNS I do not know.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

Lynne,

Are you a paid Open DNS user?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Lynne Desrochers

Today at 2 it magically started working again. Would it be a naive guess to say they updated their certificate? Or one of the many changes just finally propagated? Thank you all for your help.
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

Yes, it is no longer serving the SERVFAIL record anymore.  Just the single correct IP.

Excellent!  Wonder if OpenDNS saw my ticket and fixed it, or if it was an issue with Palisade's DNS.  May never know!
Mark Piontek, MBA

Hans Manhave

The OpenDNS folks take it as a personal challenge, I think, to see if they can fix/correct things.  If you submitted a ticket, someone there probably followed up on it even if it was by contacting Palisades.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Lynne Desrochers

Here's part of the message we got back from OpenDNS:
I can confirm that several of our DNS resolving servers were seeing issues with the agentweb.palisades.com domain. I have flushed our DNS cache and this appears to have resolved the issue.

So there you go. Thank you again for everyone's help and input.
Lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA