Applied losing network connection

Started by Lynne Desrochers, March 07, 2014, 11:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on March 10, 2014, 10:34:53 AM
I do have two people on citrix and they got an applied error, but it also could have been that the citrix is on the same switch.
I think I'm going to test out the scanning tonight at 5 and see if I can re-create the issue.

We had a remote employee who used to do a lot of scanning from her house in Florida, to our office in Michigan.  She scanned to a mapped drive that was facilitated via a VPN connection.  She was a heavy scanner, but we never had an connectivity issues that caused TAM or other network issues. 

Along with checking network and switch issues, I would also check and see if any other program or protocol is running in conjunction with the scanning operations.  You might be surprised at "helper" programs are running in addition to a straight ftp or http connection.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

No router in play here since it's local LAN traffic on the same subnet.

I am leaning towards the switch.  If you can limit the bandwidth the sync app uses or give the TAM server priority (which would require QoS) that may help.

Try putting the TAM server on a different switch and see if that makes a difference.  12 users doesn't create a lot of traffic though.  It's gotta be the sync tool saturating the line somewhere. 

How many switches do you have? 
How many ports are used to link the switches? 
What kind of switches?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Lynne Desrochers

Jeff G- I don't think it's bandwidth, since 50 out of 52 are local, including the girl who was trying to scan. Computers running this software are not running applied, yet. I feel like it's the switch.
Jeff Z - interesting that she scanned to a mapped drive that was facilitated by a VPN, I think our initial issue with the remote user scanning to a mapped drive was QoS was not turned on properly and it ate up the phone bandwidth.
Mark - I think it is the switch as well. We have 3 HP switches, two 48 port and one 24 port. When i did the initial check, not everyone effected was on the same switch, but those things are hard to follow, so I may have been wrong.  It's not just 12 uses, we have 54 people, only 12 complained that day about having an error in applied.

Would i be crazy to give everyone a heads up and then tomorrow at say 4:30 to run a few scans with the original configuration and see if I can replicate my issue? One last clue, I have an incremental backup running through out the day, and this has been running for months. I'm wondering out loud if it could be the timing of it all.....
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

It very well could be the timing.  How does the backup run during hours?  Is it backing things up over the network?  It's not backing up TAM while users are in, is it?

I just saw "12" in your signature and thought it was number of users ;)

Are these switches gigabit?  Fairly new?  They are not old HP "hubs" are they?

Edit: Re-reading your post, you mention "phones" so I'm guessing these are NOT hubs, lol
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security