Main Menu

Equallogic SAN issue

Started by Bloody Jack Kidd, March 06, 2014, 12:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloody Jack Kidd

Anyone running an older EQL SAN?

We had one suddenly start generating alerts on the drive firmware; actually SANHQ started generating alerts, but not it appears that all the drives have firmware that is suddenly incompatible with the SAN.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

I am not familiar with this, but is it possible the firmware on the SAN was updated and now that is why the firmware on the drives is "incompatible"?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bloody Jack Kidd

Nope, the sudden alerts from SANHQ did not coincide with any changes to the SAN environment.

One of EQLs solutions is to disable or ignore the alerts... not really what I call a solution.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Is there a firmware update for the drives?  Maybe it's just throwing the wrong error event?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bloody Jack Kidd

Drives are mixed XR38 and PD04 - PD0A is latest. Unfortunately, this Array with these particular controllers could not (under most circumstances) do a firmware update to the drives. It was a known limitation.

However, with some EQL help, all the drives were recently flashed to PD0A.

Strange thing is, only SANHQ complained - there were no alerts in Group Manager.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Interesting for sure.  All this EQL lingo is foreign to me.  My Dell SAN is simple to manage though! lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

I know.  But, you are not using Dell's MDM for the EQL I'm sure.  And, if the controller had this limitation, then it wouldn't help anyway.

I have had to update firmware on my SAN before, but it was a piece of cake.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bloody Jack Kidd

Firmware on the EQL is a breeze - basically I have to type 'update' and 'restart'

updating the firmware on the individual drives seemed a bit more involved.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

I wonder if they will change anything.  I have heard mixed theories, but after the purchase of EQL it was rumored that the PowerVault line would go away.  Then it was countered that they still need a low-end product or whatever so it would stay.

But, the Dell MDM (Modular Disk Manager) is pretty simple to use once you get familiar with it.  Think I highlighted a drive and just clicked update firmware somewhere.  It was click-simple.
Mark Piontek, MBA