can't see Domain Controller - need help ASAP!

Started by Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski, May 05, 2010, 02:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Glad to hear it, Marie!  And thank you to Steve for helping out. 

I should have come to that same conclusion for her sooner.  I posted this link below in an earlier post, then didn't follow the very first rule:

"1. TCP/IP Configuration Points to Public DNS Servers"

"This is by far the most common DNS error. Each network interface has a set of TCP/IP settings that lists the DNS servers used by that interface.

If the TCP/IP settings for a member computer specify the IP address of a public DNS server—perhaps at an ISP or DNS vendor or the company's public-facing name server—the TCP/IP resolver won't find Service Locator (SRV) records that advertise domain controller services, LDAP, Kerberos and Global Catalog. Without these records, a member computer can't authenticate and get the information it needs to operate in the domain. It then acts like a teenager who can't get the car keys, growing sullen and exhibiting a variety of bad behaviors"

For anyone that manages a server, you should at least glance at the first 3 or 4 items in this article.  I think Mark Piontek may have posted this in the past, so kudos to him for his DNS article. 

http://rcpmag.com/articles/2004/05/01/10-dns-errors-that-will-kill-your-network.aspx

And thank you to Steve for the info on DCDIAG.  I now remember installing the Support Tools on my 2000 Server machine about 10 years ago.  My 2008 Server has this installed out of the box which made me assume there was a problem there.  One should never ASSume I guess. 

"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on May 06, 2010, 10:00:39 AM
I would also look into running DHCP service on it - and hand out a different portion of your available scope from each DC (and disable DHCP on the router).

perhaps the part in brackets got overlooked in all the excitement...  :-[

...or I didn't make it clear that it needed to be done once the current DC was handing out addresses.

Is Steve a vendor?  If so, he should plug his biz in his sig - that's totally copesetic in here.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on May 07, 2010, 12:24:30 PM
Quote from: Rick Chisholm on May 06, 2010, 10:00:39 AM
I would also look into running DHCP service on it - and hand out a different portion of your available scope from each DC (and disable DHCP on the router).

perhaps the part in brackets got overlooked in all the excitement...  :-[

...or I didn't make it clear that it needed to be done once the current DC was handing out addresses.

Is Steve a vendor?  If so, he should plug his biz in his sig - that's totally copesetic in here.

That's not hard to do when it's 2 days before you're going to be gone from the office for 2 weeks and you're not really comfortable with servers to begin with.  People seem to freak out when they have to deal with a domain server.  It would be nice if someone did a class or a wiki article on what a domain server is and does, and also maybe more importantly, what a DNS server is and does and how to properly configure DNS.  DNS seems to be the leading killer of network access.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

Steve is president of Advantage Micro Solutions.  Been a friend of mine since he was 19 yr old college student.   Great character, good person and good friend.   He makes even the most difficult things look easy. (as you do Rick and others)

As a friend I asked him to take a look physically at the problem.  Terminology and server expertise is too much for Marie (even me at times).  She is more CSR/Office Manager/Administrator type.  Last time I was certified was Novel 3.12.   Long ago...

I think IT titles should be reserved to people like yourself Rick, Nick, Steve, Tim and so on.  Some how power user or network administrator now = IT person.  When that happens real IT people starting talking in tongue that goes over their heads because they really are admins.  While intentions were best, she was getting lost.  That's what I was seeing so I asked Steve to contact Marie directly as she was getting frazzled.   

You were correct but DC, scope etc..  Intimidating for her and most are afraid to ask, what did you say?  Hope that makes sense.  I know Steve well enough to ask him to help directly which defused problem.  Problem wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed again because of communication, different levels of understanding.   I do appreciate your efforts as well as Jeff's.  I just knew if someone didn't contact her directly problem would continue to escalate out of frustration.   Easier for me to approach and ask Steve since you work for a firm and Jeff has an Agency to run.

Was great to see this forum step up and help!  :)

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

Who me?   Frazzled?   What?????   I never get frazzled.....    :o

OK, wait, I did have lots of beers last night in relief, but that
had NOTHING to do with the server and domain whats-its and
the DCHP thingy and ......
LOL

Actually Rick, I did try what you said (or at least thought I did)
but I was actually just running around in circles.... and having
a boss asking every 10 minutes WHY AREN'T WE UP YET didn't help...

Oh, and had to handle a couple of client problems in the middle
of all this too.....

Don't get me wrong.... I SOOO appreciated the help you guys
were trying to give me... it just got to be too over my head :-)
Workstations are fine, but servers.... yikes!

I would LOVE to take a class (or two or ten) on server and domain
setup.... excellent idea!

Thanks again to everyone!

Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on May 07, 2010, 01:25:11 PM
It would be nice if someone did a class or a wiki article on what a domain server is and does, and also maybe more importantly, what a DNS server is and does and how to properly configure DNS.  DNS seems to be the leading killer of network access.

Well - I've started a wiki Primer on DNS and AD, will likely leave config details for another wiki.

If anyone has input - feel free to add / edit...
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Golas

I see nobody here took my Active Directory class at Tencon! *pout*
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Unfortunately, in 18 years of working here, I have only been to one Tencon... so classes there don't help much  :-(
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users