Dual Monitor support - remote user

Started by Terry Evans, October 24, 2013, 04:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Evans

I'm looking for dual monitor support for a CSR that will begin working from home.

As far as I can tell, the only way to have true dual monitor support, 2 at home and 2 at the office, is using two machines running Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise.

Will TAM run on an Ultimate machine? 

Are there any other reasonably priced options for running dual monitors at home and office?  We will only have one user doing this.

Thanks!!
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Jeff Zylstra

The first question to ask is, what program are you running to allow remote access?  Many now support multiple monitors natively without any additional software.  I use Remote Administrator, and I know that it supports dual monitors.  Pretty sure that Terminal Server does too.  If you provide the program, I'm sure someone here can help you.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Terry Evans

Ooops.  I'm looking at using built-in Windows Remote Desktop Connection as it is the only program I have found that will actually allow two monitors on each end. 

I've been using logmein personally, but you have to toggle between monitors.

Thanks!
Terry Evans

Jeff Zylstra

I believe that it does.  I think the command is "Mstsc /span" typed at a command prompt, or some such thing.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

With the latest versions of remote desktop, the switch is now /multimon.

You can view all your options by going to start -> run and typing: mstsc /?

As long as the computer at home has two monitors and the lastest version of mstsc (which it has likely gotten form Windows Updates) you shoudl be good to go.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Terry Evans

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I'm not properly communicating what I'm trying to do, but it's not working.

I am testing on a Vista (host) machine as well as an Win 7 (remote) machine.  For testing purposes, both of these stations are within my office.

Both stations have the most current version of mstsc.exe.  When I run mstsc.exe /multimon, I get connected, but not with dual monitor support. 

I've been told that both stations have to have either Windows 7 or Windows Ultimate, but other posters here have said that's not the case.

What am I doing wrong?  Does anyone want to try and remote in and see what you get?  Is anyone successfully controlling 2 monitors from 2 monitors (not spanning).

Thanks!
Terry Evans

Mark

Mstsc.exe is only the client: Microsoft Terminal Server Client dot exe. It doesn't matter what version the host has.

I believe the issue would be that your host is Vista. I think the issue is the results you are expecting is only going to work with a Windows 7 or greater host.

If you use Vista as the client and 7 as the host, using the multimon switch, I think you'll get what you expect.

Sent from my super old phone using Tapatalk 2. I can't even run the latest version!
Mark Piontek, MBA

Terry Evans

I just tried a window 7 host and a windows 7 remote and that doesn't work either.  I'm stumped.
Terry Evans

Mark

Does the host have dual monitors?

did you invoke the whole connection from command line or run box?

mstsc -multimon -v 192.168.x.x

ALSO - are both monitors on the CLIENT side the same size and set to the same resolution?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Terry Evans

I changed the host to match my remote resolution.  Both monitors on both sides are set to 1152 x 864.  I also used all the switches -multimon -v -192.168.x.x.  Still only one monitor can be controlled. 

Should it be /multimon or -multimon?  /v or -v? 

Thanks.
Terry Evans

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA

Terry Evans

That's what I had mentioned back in my original post.  So that being said, is anyone else putting Ultimate/Enterprise on the workstations running TAM?  Does it work or are there better options?

Terry Evans

Jeff Zylstra

There may be other ancillary programs that might support multiple monitors on the remote side, even though you are not using Windows Ultimate or Enterprise editions.  I don't know if Ultramon would do that or not, but I would think it would.  I now use Display Fusion for multi-monitor support, and I think that would do it as well. 

Mark

Quote from: Terry Evans on November 05, 2013, 03:42:07 PM
That's what I had mentioned back in my original post.  So that being said, is anyone else putting Ultimate/Enterprise on the workstations running TAM?  Does it work or are there better options?

Duh.  I read that  ;) lol

Is your Windows 7 license a volume license?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Terry Evans

No, we are a small office of 6 users and 7-8 workstations.  I could buy ultimate and put it on one machine here as well as the users home machine.   Still probably a pretty good buy.
Terry Evans

Mark

Oh, ok.  You don't need it on the home user's machine.  I can connect to our terminal server form XP with the /multimon switch.

That is probably your best bet then.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

I happen to be setting up a "host" machine right now for a remote user.  The host is running Window 7 Pro, and I think the remote is running Windows 7 Home or other lesser Windows version.  I have Display Fusion Pro loaded on my machine, so I will see if the 2nd screen is active, has its own task bar, icons, etc...  It will take a little bit, but I think Display Fusion is around $30, so it's way easier and cheaper than a Windows upgrade.  I'll let you know....

Terry Evans

Mark, thanks for the input!!

Jeff, I've got my fingers crossed for the $30 solution!!
Terry Evans

Sherry Burrell

I have 4 CSRs that work from home - each two day a week.  They all use Gotomypc.  They all have dual monitors at home and at work. 

Works like a charm!
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Mark

Quote from: Sherry Burrell on November 05, 2013, 04:37:47 PM
I have 4 CSRs that work from home - each two day a week.  They all use Gotomypc.  They all have dual monitors at home and at work. 

Works like a charm!

Yeah, but t hat is a subscription fee.  It's all about preferences!! :)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bob

Quote from: Mark on November 05, 2013, 04:41:39 PM
Quote from: Sherry Burrell on November 05, 2013, 04:37:47 PM

Works like a charm!

Yeah, but t hat is a subscription fee.  It's all about preferences!! :)

What you jealous some have money to spend for simple fix?  Ha!   :P

Mark

Quote from: Bob Connor on November 05, 2013, 04:56:18 PM
What you jealous some have money to spend for simple fix?  Ha!   :P

Not when I can get people to send it my way!  8)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Terry Evans

I will gladly spend $99/yr if this works correctly (gotomypc)
Terry Evans

Mark

Quote from: Terry Evans on November 05, 2013, 04:59:08 PM
I will gladly spend $99/yr if this works correctly (gotomypc)

I assume it will work well for you.

Sent from my super old phone using Tapatalk 2. I can't even run the latest version!

Mark Piontek, MBA

Terry Evans

So . . . I just receive two brand new Optiplex 7010's each with Windows Ultimate on them.

As long as the host has Windows Ultimate, Remote Desktop automatically supports dual monitors.

I am good to go!!

Thanks for all the input.
Terry Evans