Main Menu

ZAP!

Started by Mark, September 09, 2013, 03:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Golas

I think some spark plug wires are now just carbon powder to make em flexible.

I'd still look at outlet voltages and consider grounding issues...
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Golas on September 10, 2013, 12:46:08 PM
I think some spark plug wires are now just carbon powder to make em flexible.

I'd still look at outlet voltages and consider grounding issues...

Agreed on both points.  Especially the loss of a phase.  Our air conditioner blows a fuse for one of the phases about every 10 years.  Of course, it's usually about 95 degrees out when that happens.   Also, the tool and die place a block away gave us fits for a while when they'd use their new heavy press.  It would cause a brownout and all kinds of weird behavior with anything electrical.  They finally upgraded the transformer and we've had no issues since.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

With the new switch in place, I have a new revelation. My workstation can only run at half duplex. That's 100mbps half duplex.

Love the info you can get from a managed switch. Makes my 40 minute login a little.clearer now. In fact, my profile is probably trashed due to this as well. I kept getting a registry recovery.

Oh well. Done all I could today.

The good news is we may likely move to VDI ASAP. Or after TENCon, then ASAP. ;)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Golas

Make sure your NIC drivers are up to date...amazing when you go back to a workstation that was rolled out 2 years ago to see drivers from 2009 (what used to be current) on them, only to find the nic drivers were updated a month ago lol.

In some other cases I've been able to get things to work better by specifying speed/duplex under the NIC properties instead of letting it auto-detect.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

If I didn't have all this sudden and obvious damage with at least 16 machines, I'd do that.  But, it's clear there is damage and this aint software related so I'm not going to bother.

Off to Best Buy for 3 more USB to ethernet dongles.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bloody Jack Kidd

Have you declared a state of emergency yet?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Not really.  We're running now.  No need for Agility to come in at the moment ;)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

And I was already to send you my pith helmet!

"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Zylstra

Everything squared away, Mark?  Disasters always fascinate the masses, especially when it's someone ELSE'S disaster.   ;)    Hope you're 100%.

Mark

Everyone is up and running but we haven't replaced anything yet. Gotta go through some motions before we do, and we are seriously leaning towards VDI so it may be a while before we do replace.

I'll definitly keep this thread updated.

Thanks!

Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Glad to hear it.  I was under the impression that some of your network equipment was fried and non-functional, so I'm interested in hearing what the culprit was.

Jeff Golas

Would VDI be the answer though? Wouldn't the VDI hardware be just as suseptible to whatever happened as any regular desktop, the advantage being the desktop could accept USB nics (or even a PCI nic) whereas a thin/zero client might not?
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

@JZ: yes, we lost ports on switches so did get a new switch. We lost ports on workstations so they are using usb dongles for now.

@JG: VDI is just the route we want to go regardless. Zero clients will be cheaper & easier to replace than a full desktop & almost no setup time. They do have usb ports and with PCoIP you can scan & can attach devices locally as if it were a full pc.

I plan to put a surge protector between the ISP & our equipment as well.

Mark Piontek, MBA