Tablet computers-but not Apple

Started by DebAmstutz, August 26, 2013, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

I've always just used the run box (still on XP 99% of the time) Windows+R -> winword opens word.  Excel opens Excel and, anything you have in your path variable or in system32 folder as well.  Any computer I work on frequently will have putty in the path or in system32 folder.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Mark on September 04, 2013, 08:23:46 AM
Quote from: DebAmstutz on September 04, 2013, 08:22:01 AM
I believe it's being constructed on the north side of Fort Wayne.  I don't believe in having to pay in order to shop.  ;)

I keep telling my wife this.  She also likes to pay to hold a credit card (AMX).  wt?

You really expect them to scrape by on that 8% they charge the merchants?  Come on, man!   ;D
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Mark

Quote from: Billy Welsh on September 04, 2013, 10:35:38 AM
You really expect them to scrape by on that 8% they charge the merchants?  Come on, man!   ;D

Well at least now that she switched to a Costco AMX the card is free with membership.  But my next complaint is that Cosco is 40+ minutes away! lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

/ End Hijack

Back to the tablets - this just published last week.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

John Haber-Smith

Why beat yourself up, Deb?  Just get an ipad.
John Ansell & Partners Ltd
LONDON UK
TAM 12

Jeff Golas

In Windows 7 your cursor defaults to the run box (now the search/run box).
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on September 04, 2013, 02:14:02 PM
In Windows 7 your cursor defaults to the run box (now the search/run box).

Yep, I noticed.  Old habits die hard.  I'm still a Widows + R guy! lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

DebAmstutz

Why beat yourself up, Deb?  Just get an ipad.

John, did you notice the title of the thread?  ;)
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

John Haber-Smith

Deb, yes I did, but why?

Just get an ipad, you're worth it.
LONDON UK
TAM 12

DebAmstutz

John, I'm just not a fan of Apple products.  I'm not a big tech fan of anything, actually, but I need something that will allow me access to the agency network and some of my daily tasks while I'm away.  Believe me, whatever I get will remain dormant most of the time.  Why put a lot of $$ into something that will be rarely used?  I will need to make it as secure as possible because I can't afford a data plan for any devices like that, and I will have to be near some sort of free wi-fi source because I can't afford any kind of data plan and I don't want to be tempted to spend time with a device when that time could be better spent face to face with people or doing something other than staring at a screen.  I understand how technology is very helpful with many industries and in keeping people better informed about personal, local, and world events, but I don't want it to take over my life.  I might be one of the few people left on the planet with an opinion like that, but hey, that's just me.
Deb Amstutz

John Haber-Smith

Deb,

I'm just being mischievious.

We need more people like you - This is a technology organisation and you make sure we keep our feet on the ground and remember what the purpose of it all is.  So easy to get carried away with all the tech.
LONDON UK
TAM 12

DebAmstutz

John, you're a technology imp!  hahaha ;D
Deb Amstutz

Gene Foraker

Quote from: DebAmstutz on September 05, 2013, 09:09:02 AM
John, I'm just not a fan of Apple products.  I'm not a big tech fan of anything, actually, but I need something that will allow me access to the agency network and some of my daily tasks while I'm away.  Believe me, whatever I get will remain dormant most of the time.  Why put a lot of $$ into something that will be rarely used?  I will need to make it as secure as possible because I can't afford a data plan for any devices like that, and I will have to be near some sort of free wi-fi source because I can't afford any kind of data plan and I don't want to be tempted to spend time with a device when that time could be better spent face to face with people or doing something other than staring at a screen.  I understand how technology is very helpful with many industries and in keeping people better informed about personal, local, and world events, but I don't want it to take over my life.  I might be one of the few people left on the planet with an opinion like that, but hey, that's just me.

What you have described is a cheap laptop with a real keyboard and a real mouse.   I have an old netbook which works just fine for that.  It runs on windows so there will be no learning curve for you.  Mine cost around $300 years ago.  You could probably pick up something used with a 10 inch screen for $100 or less used.   I get ads for new laptops which would be much more powerful than mine for around $300 to $350.

Tablets are nice toys and will do many things much more easily than a laptop, but business work is not one of them.

I will agree that if you really want to get a tablet for the "cool" factor or to actually use it for entertainment, then Apple is still the best and worth the surcharge.    Samsung is catching up quickly especially on the hardware, but further behind on the software or apps.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Gene Foraker

Oh, BTW Deb, I am not an Apple fanboy either and I know what you mean.   I do own several Apple devices, but do not worship at the alter of Jobs like so many Apple users do. 

Just because a lot of jerks love Apple products does not mean they are bad.   Just because a lot of jerks drive BMWs does not mean I would turn one down.   :D

BMW proof here - http://live.wsj.com/video/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks-studies-find/29285015-BB1A-4E41-B0C0-0A41CB990F60.html?mod=WSJ_article_outbrain&obref=obnetwork#!29285015-BB1A-4E41-B0C0-0A41CB990F60
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA