Issues with Optiplex 7010

Started by Jeff Zylstra, December 06, 2013, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

I wrote before about the premature death of the Seagate hybrid hard drive in my 7010.  This past week I had an issue with the power supply on the same machine, which is about 4-5 months old.  I was using it the other night to download a large file, and all of the sudden it went crazy, and the screen went all distorted and the machine locked up.  My first paranoid thought was virus or some such thing, but then cooler heads prevailed and turned to hardware and the power supply.    After pulling the plug and removing the cord for minute and rebooting several times, nothing worked.  Pulling the plug was the only way to shut it down by the way, as nothing else worked.

The lighted power button flashed orange, like a POST diagnostic code (power on, self test).  First 1 blink, then 3, then 2, followed by the 3 and 2 blink combinations, then after about 15 minutes it just blinked orange continuously instead of white, like it's supposed to be.  After unplugging everything and pulling the CMOS battery from the motherboard, I tried again.  Nothing. No display, no hard drive spinning, just power supply fan noise.  The only thing that brought it back to life was unplugging it from the power supply and hitting the reset switch on the back of the power supply.  I think that this is the 90% efficient power supply in this machine.  I will keep my eye on it, and I will be doing another full backup this weekend. 

I ran across several posts with IT people mentioning that they had an epidemic of power supplies failing.  I have 3 other 7010 machines which have not have any hard drive or power supply issues.  The only difference is that they all have SSD drives and this one has a hybrid drive.  If you have Dell Optiplex 7010 machines, keep an eye on the power supply units.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Charlie Charbonneau

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Jeff Zylstra

You're most welcome.  I saw that others were looking at the 7010/7020 machines, so I figured there are others who might benefit.   The 9000 series also uses the same power supplies and was also mentioned, so be aware of that too
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

I have one awaiting implementation yet that arrived just recently. Hopefully I will not have to recall this thread.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

We had a machine with power supply failure this summer...got new machines earlier in the year - never had that issue in all the years I have been in charge of getting equipment.  We have our machines built but - thought I would mention we had the same issue...

Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jim Jensen on December 06, 2013, 01:07:44 PM
I have one awaiting implementation yet that arrived just recently. Hopefully I will not have to recall this thread.

I have one still sitting in my office that needs to be finished up and implemented as well.  It's embarrassing, but sometimes I have to search the forums for my own posts, to remember what I did and how I did it! 

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on December 06, 2013, 03:54:43 PM

I have one still sitting in my office that needs to be finished up and implemented as well.  It's embarrassing, but sometimes I have to search the forums for my own posts, to remember what I did and how I did it!

There is noting wrong with checklists; in fact I am a big proponent of these.  However, your filing system for these is suspect!   ;)
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Billy Welsh on December 06, 2013, 04:45:46 PM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on December 06, 2013, 03:54:43 PM

There is noting wrong with checklists; in fact I am a big proponent of these.  However, your filing system for these is suspect!   ;)

What filing system?!   ;)