Main Menu

Dual screens at 32"

Started by Hans Manhave, August 20, 2013, 11:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

Today I installed a second 32" screen on a machine where I already had one 32" installed.  Dual 32", quite nice.  However, the older computer with older graphics card could not drive the two screens.  Output was only visible on one of the two and was quite poor at that.  It is a lot of fun having two LED panels sitting next two each other, from the same brand, operating from one remote (they are tv's after all).  It will be even better when I have it working.  Maybe an additional graphics card. 
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

Maybe a few pics one it's up and running?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Ric

Quote from: Flag Waving American on August 20, 2013, 11:15:15 PM
Today I installed a second 32" screen on a machine where I already had one 32" installed.  Dual 32", quite nice.  However, the older computer with older graphics card could not drive the two screens.  Output was only visible on one of the two and was quite poor at that.  It is a lot of fun having two LED panels sitting next two each other, from the same brand, operating from one remote (they are tv's after all).  It will be even better when I have it working.  Maybe an additional graphics card.

sounds great!  are you running at a high resolution that will allow you to put more "stuph" on the screen or just make your stuph bigger?
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jeff Golas

One issue I found, especially with wide screens, is that the users have issues craning their neck from side to side to get the full view. Once I found Dell was still selling the 4:3 monitors I've been buying as many as I can before they decide to drop them for once and for all.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Hans Manhave

Just running 800x600 to make stuff bigger.  The first one was a hit.  The need for a second monitor arose.  While I could put a 19" on there as #2, it would only negate the usefulness because it would have to be so much closer to the user.  I have not tried to add a "regular" 17 thru 24 inch monitor as the second one but the screen is easily five feet away from the eyes.  Having them the same size reduces the need for refocusing of the eyes when scanning from one to the other.  The next thing is probably that I obtain another graphics card and see about working it that way.  Probably the quickest solution.  I also noticed that there was still a printer connected with a parallel port and the new stations don't have one of those.  Will have to obtain an adaptor of some sort, provided there is a 64bit driver for the printer otherwise that will have to be replaced.  :)
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Golas

800x600, how big are the icons, the size of floor tiles??  ::)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Ric

Quote from: Flag Waving American on August 21, 2013, 10:53:38 AM
Just running 800x600 to make stuff bigger.  The first one was a hit.  The need for a second monitor arose.  While I could put a 19" on there as #2, it would only negate the usefulness because it would have to be so much closer to the user.  I have not tried to add a "regular" 17 thru 24 inch monitor as the second one but the screen is easily five feet away from the eyes.  Having them the same size reduces the need for refocusing of the eyes when scanning from one to the other.  The next thing is probably that I obtain another graphics card and see about working it that way.  Probably the quickest solution.  I also noticed that there was still a printer connected with a parallel port and the new stations don't have one of those.  Will have to obtain an adaptor of some sort, provided there is a 64bit driver for the printer otherwise that will have to be replaced.  :)

[boom] that was the sound of my jaw hitting the desk.  800x600.  how far away is the user? not trying to be snide but are they visually impared? 

running 1280x1024 on 19" monitors and things are just fine.   with that much screen real estate I would want to get more stuph on the screen not just bigger.
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Gene Foraker

I think you would be better off with only one video card than two.   Most of the newer ones natively support 2 monitors.

Lots of 4X3 monitors are still available on Newegg.   You can narrow the search for just those.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Gene Foraker

I run 1162 by 864.   I don't think I could read lots of pages at a higher rez, but the 19" monitor is at the back edge of the desk and my eyes are aging.

The real problem with higher resolution is that Microsoft has tied it into font size.  I know, CTRL scroll wheel changes things, but not entirely.  There is no real reason that you can't run screens and resolutions at the monitor's native resolution and control the size of things differently.  Maybe they will totally separate things out like Apple does by the time Windows 9 is released.   That would mean Applied would support it maybe in 2020.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Hans Manhave

Myself, I run my screens at 1920x1200 for the 24" and 1280x1024 for the 19" (a 4:3 model) sitting next to it.  But I leave it almost entirely up to the end user.  The particular project has not TAM user but there is plenty of space for the large screens and they work quite well.

I will share a pic when done, but it won't be this week.

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Flag Waving American on August 21, 2013, 10:53:38 AM

You may find success with a USB video adapter like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815990008.  They'll support up to 1920 x 1080.  We have several in use with minimal issues.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Hans Manhave

I use a USB one at home.  I could bring it to test.  :-)

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Billy Welsh on August 21, 2013, 12:18:06 PM
You may find success with a USB video adapter...

Works. 

Sorry, no pics.  I would have to step back so far that privacy would become a concern and blurring out surroundings void the usefulness of a picture.

Billy Welsh

Pay attention to the specs when purchasing the USB adapters - each brand supports different max resolutions.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Mark Rowe

Quote from: Gene Foraker on August 21, 2013, 11:06:46 AM
I know, CTRL scroll wheel changes things, but not entirely. 

OK....you just blew my mind with that one. Yes, that's how little I know about windows.
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Billy Welsh on August 26, 2013, 12:21:39 PM
Pay attention to the specs when purchasing the USB adapters - each brand supports different max resolutions.

I have been using the EVGA model.  Ordered a few more from Newegg.

Sherry Burrell

I have several I ordered from monoprice.com - they work great and the price was great too!
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Sherry Burrell on August 27, 2013, 08:57:33 AM
I have several I ordered from monoprice.com - they work great and the price was great too!

I love monoprice.com almost as much as woot.com.  I now have so many different HDMI adapters I have to find problem situations to use them all or purposely order the wrong cable.   8)

Mark

Quote from: Flag Waving American on August 27, 2013, 11:12:36 AM
I love monoprice.com almost as much as woot.com.  I now have so many different HDMI adapters I have to find problem situations to use them all or purposely order the wrong cable.   8)

ROFL!  Hans, you're awesome.  +1 just for being you.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

This little device:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815101012&Tpk=evga%20uv%20plus%2b%20uv39

Does both HDMI and the DVI format.  Includes an adapter from DVI to 15pin.  It does both at the same time so adding one adapter plus your regular monitor will give you three screen capability.  I tested it with a 24" main screen (to the graphics card) and a 19" 3:4 on the adapter plus a 37" flat screen with the HDMI.  The flat screen is a 720p, I believe that limited it from going to 1920x1048.  I had it at 1280xYYY and that worked fine.  I have used an earlier model of the listed unit which worked fine too.  Both Windows XP and Windows 7 have been shown to work fine with this.