Looks like I found something (personal)

Started by Lancebateman, July 26, 2013, 07:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lancebateman

Looks like I will be starting (unknown date, or salary - which could kill the deal) as Health Insurance Investigator with the State Dept of Ins in Hawaii.  Wow - the private companies to which I made applications mostly just didn't respond, or it was "more experience than we are looking for" - I think translated to too old?  State positions I applied for I at least got a response.  This one looks to be very interesting.  (Hawaii has had prepaid health care law sine 1976, if employed 20 hours a week must be provided by employer with employer paying a large part of it.  We have a waiver in Obamacare so only the things that are additional go into effect here.)
Lance Bateman
(Looks like I'll be working for the State of Hawaii, Health Insurance Investigator)

TrishaOurs

Trisha Ours, CISR

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

brinkerdana

Sounds good, Lance!  Hope it works out.
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jeff Zylstra

Congratulations, Lance.   Hope this one works out for you!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Lancebateman

Update - I was told by one of the panel that interviewed me and made the selection there may be a delay due to "bureaucratic objection" - whatever that means.  Fingers crossed, just don't know when.

And (gag) the company that let me go unexpectedly has asked if I wanted to do consulting (to basically get them out of a problem they have), but I don't think the time frame (or the money) will work. The owner of the company has always been supportive, and the one who inquired - but he's not the one who let me go or that I would be doing work for.  Anyway, hoping the job with the state comes through soon.
Lance Bateman
(Looks like I'll be working for the State of Hawaii, Health Insurance Investigator)

Charlie Charbonneau

Wow, don't know your situation but I don't think I'd go back and do the consulting.  If they decided you weren't the right fit for the company, why would you be fit for consulting?  I believe I'd politely decline.

Congrats (hopefully) on the state job!  And I hope it pulls through in a timely fashion for you!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

I'd consult... for triple your old pay :-)
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Charlie Charbonneau

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Lancebateman

Notified today the "logjam" at the state has been cleared, may know starting date and salary in a couple weeks.  YAY!

And on that consult thing - when I found out all they had was a "copy of the files" (unknown if TAM files or other) on a thumb drive, and that it doubles the book of the agency (7000 clients apparently) - told them 1) the project is going to cost more than they thought; 2) they need to re-institute audits of new files/policy screens, and transactions (they stopped doing that); and 3) suggested contacting Applied, AB Solutions, and/or Randy Teish (sp?) for what they need.  I would not be available, especially for the time-frame, and for the money they thought they could get this done for.
Lance Bateman

Gene Foraker

Congrats on the new job!

It sounds like the old company would just want to do it on the cheap.  If they really get desperate they will have to pay a real consultant's going rate, but with you they would save travel expense and you already know the agency operations.  Don't be the cheapest alternative.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Ric

congrats Lance & good luck!

if you do think about the consulting gig I agree that you should set your price high.  no less than a one week job for double or triple what you made.  2 weeks, 3 weeks, follow the same formula with a minium of 2 weeks salary even for a 1 day job.

just sayin
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Lancebateman

Got the word on probable salary with the state - significantly lower than I'd hoped, but the benefits are really good.  And bottom line - one or two more years, retirement time!  Don't have a start date yet.

Found the "taste of retirement" that it's something I'm ready for (and old enough for).  Lots of chores around the house done (more lined up of course), lots done in the yard (neverending of course), enjoying hitting the gym during the daytime instead of at night when tired from work. I'd guess 40 years in insurance and related jobs is just feeling like enough.  (Also got signed up by my old modeling agent - guess being an "in-shape" old fart helped?).
Lance Bateman