Main Menu

RAM Conundrum

Started by Charlie Charbonneau, June 07, 2013, 01:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Charbonneau

Here's an odd one...  Along with the partition change in the server, I decided it was as good a time as any to beef up the RAM a bit.

The SBS had 8GB of RAM 4 X 2GB sticks with 2 slots open.  Spec sheet says cap of 32GB RAM.  So I bought 2 - 8 GB sticks to throw in there. Should put me at 24GB which is well under the cap.  upon installation of new memory into the spare slots I get a memory config error!  *CRAP!*  So I yanked all the mem and installed the two new sticks in the first slots.  System booted fine.  So I powered down and threw in two more 2 GB sticks.  System booted fine again.  Added the last two sticks in and system crapped out again.

So is the spec sheet wrong and there's only a 20GB cap instead of 32?  all sticks are ddr3 1333's? 

Even at 20GB I can feel the wind in my hair compared to the 8GB... but still why can't I have 24GB?!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Jeff Golas

I'm a little confused but I think its alerting you the ram size has changed, and usually wants you to go into the BIOS setup to verify its correct. Basically go into BIOS...yep looks good, hit save, and you're good.

If not, you may have the wrong ram type or speed.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Charlie Charbonneau

Jeff, no it boots fine on RAM change up to the 20GB but after that I get a ram configuration error on the digital display on the front of the box and it won't even let me get to the bios.  Don't even have to confirm the change, I do get the standard RAM has changed message on change tho.

All ram is the same except 2GB vs 8GB sticks. had 4 2 GB sticks in.  added 2 8 GB sticks and had to take out 2 2GB sticks.  But I have 6 slots, and a cap of 32 GB... It SHOULD have taken the 8's in the spare slots without even thinking about it. I currently have the 2 new 8 GB sticks and 2 of the old 2 GB sticks that have been in there for years and it's working well at 20GB with 2 empty ram slots.

It's not a big issue, I'm just curious as to why it won't take the extra 4GB of ram that was already in there!?
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.

Jeff Golas

It might be that to support the full 24 gigs it HAS to be a specific combination of sticks. New stuff is funky like that. It may also be possible that it originally only supported 20 gigs and maybe a bios/firmware update upped the limit.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Charlie Charbonneau

Thanks, will check into the bios update.  Just seems odd.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Alice Mooney

Charlie - try this site right on the server. I don't know if it will work on servers, but I've used on all my pc's and have never had a memory failure.  User the System Scanner Tool (on the left) first to see if it will pick up the server config.
Check it out on your computer first so you'll see what it does so you won't be nervous running it on the server.

http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Alice on June 07, 2013, 05:43:31 PM
Charlie - try this site right on the server. I don't know if it will work on servers, but I've used on all my pc's and have never had a memory failure.  User the System Scanner Tool (on the left) first to see if it will pick up the server config.
Check it out on your computer first so you'll see what it does so you won't be nervous running it on the server.

http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

+1 to Alice for the out of the box thinking!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Charlie Charbonneau

Good idea Alice!   Yes I'm familiar with crucial, but I always forget about it!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Charlie Charbonneau

So Crucial tells me nothing that I didn't already know... So I'll take a gander at the bios settings/versions to see if I can find any clues there at the next available reboot.  But even Crucial says that I can go up to 32 GB... So who knows...

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Alice Mooney

Charlie - I understand it said what you already knew, but on the analysis page when the config comes up, I believe there are some words of advice when it comes to the slots the sticks are in .  Highest RAM starting in slot one, then in size order going to lowest.  Was the RAM expensive? Or can you purchase another 8 gb stick and put it in the next slot down to test?
Just some thoughts - I'm not an expert  ;)
edit - at least it indicates all sticks are being recognized.
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Charlie Charbonneau

Found my answer.  >:(  MOBO supports up to 6 RDIMMS and only up to 4 UDIMMS.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Mark

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on June 10, 2013, 12:48:11 PM
Found my answer.  >:(  MOBO supports up to 6 RDIMMS and only up to 4 UDIMMS.

Stupid MOBO's!!  ;)  8)
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Charlie Charbonneau

oh well 20 is still better than 8, and eventually I'll drop 2 more 8's in. ;)
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Mark

I just like to say "Stupid MOBO's" outloud any chance I get ;)

I do hate that they make these limitations though.  A current mobo should be compatible with current tech without limitation. Stooopid mobos!
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security