Need to Adjust Partition Sizes in Server 2008

Started by Jeff Zylstra, May 05, 2011, 08:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Dell shipped one of my clients a 2008 R2 server with only 40GB partitioned for the OS.  I should have done a reinstall when I saw that because i KNEW that for 2008 especially, that 40GB was going to fill up fast. Wish I woudl have paid closer attention when I was setting up their data partition -- I could have deleted it, expanded C to whatever I wanted, then formatted the remaining for data and been off and jolly.  Instead, I'm going to shrink the data partition, create a 3rd partition, move ALL the data to the 3rd partition, expand C to whatever I need, move the data back to the 2nd partition, delete the 3rd partition and expand the 2nd to all unallocated space.

All with Disk Manager in windows.  It's a small shop and I don't want to screw with Gparted or any 3rd party stuff.

GParted is excellent, I just rather do it this way.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Charlie Charbonneau

I thought about doing that too, but seemed like a hassle.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Mark

If I had to do it here, it WOULD be a hassle.  But, they only have a few shares, plenty of available GB and not very much data, so that is probably the route I'll go.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Charlie Charbonneau

So, don't waste your time downloading that Partition Assistant Lite software.   Looked great on paper but fell flat on it's face when it came time to do the deed.  Server Manager/Disk Management took care of it like a champ.

In the end I added a 2T internal drive to the server and moved the Data over to there.  Dumped the entire Data partition and then expanded the OS Partition as needed.  Reset my shares and have all the room in the world for my OS to grow now.

Also retweaked my shadowcopy settings now that I have more room!  Will need to check backup settings now.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA