Main Menu

Hybrid tablets

Started by Jeff Golas, April 22, 2013, 10:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Golas

Just curious to know if anyone has deployed any hybrid tablets yet, and if so how they're holding up?
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Steven Strauss

I personally have a Surface RT. It is more computer than tablet. It runs a stripped down version of Windows 8 that has just the right amount of stuff to make it incredibly useful for business purposes. Specifically, we recently moved our entire data center to a colocated facility. I can run a terminal services client on it to get my full work desktop complete with 100% functionality, which is as quick as the broadband wifi network I'm on.

It also comes standard with Office 2013, and Excel functions with reasonably high performance as well, including some fairly granular and complex forecasting models I built.

My biggest complaint is that you cannot install anything on the device that doesn't come from the Microsoft Store (using the Apple proprietary model) which sucks, because there isn't all that much there.

In conclusion, it is great for business, but when I'm home I stick with my Android device.
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1

Jeff Golas

Does that have a dock? I think what I am aiming for is something very simliar, but without the RT, rather the full Win8 instead. Preferably looking for something that would support multiple monitors as well, but thats not a complete deal killer since I think most of our sales guys use the second monitor for hanging their suit jackets on.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Steven Strauss

It has no dock, but it does have a usb port, and I use a port expander to connect multiple peripherials. it does support multiple montors through the mini hdmi port. I got the RT version rather than the full Win8 version because of the battery life. The battery life on my RT is about 15 hours of heavy use, and with casual periodic use, I only charge it once a week. The model with the full Win8 version doesn't have much better battery life than the typical notebook.
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1

Jeff Golas

Spotted this earlier today...I guess I may have to trek down to Delaware and check out the MS store at some point. Or Micro Center...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57581096-75/windows-8-touch-ultrabooks-see-price-cuts-at-microsoft-store/
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

apiercy

We picked up a couple of Surface Pro's when they came out. I use it as my main laptop. I've tried a couple of ways to have it dock, but haven't found a system I love yet. Currently, I have a Targus USB 3.0 dock that supports dual monitors, 10/100/1000 NIC, audio, and like 5 extra USB ports. It works, but not smoothly enough to break me away from my desktop Dell machine full time.

The Surface Pro has a mini-displayport out so it's easy to hook up to an external monitor without a dock.  If the tablet monitor + the external are enough for you than it's pretty easy. If you want 2 full size monitors you have to go with a USB dock (like the Targus) or monitors that support displayport daisy chaining (which are few and far between and pricey).

90% of the time I find myself using the Surface to get into our servers at work via RDP so the RT would work just fine in most of my use cases. However, there are some times when the horse power of a real Intel i5 processor has come in handy.

I have the Type cover (the one with real keys) and it's pretty friendly for extended typing sessions. I'm not crazy about the touch pad on it, but it works. Having the option of touching the screen is nice too.

The portability is great. It's no ipad, but it's easier to carry around than any laptop I've ever held. At the same time it's heavy enough that it doesn't feel like a toy. I have a tendency to throw my ipad around a lot. Toss it on the bed from 5 feet away, that sort of thing, but the Surface is heavy enough to give me pause. I'm sure it would be fine, but the weight is just enough it makes it feel like a serious piece of equipment that I shouldn't do that with.