edit PDF

Started by Lynne Desrochers, March 18, 2013, 04:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

I'm having an issue with a PDF. We got a PDF from the company, it's got one thing on it that they want to change. We print it to paperport (version 12), we convert it to edit it and then it's blown up from 127 kb to 6.6 MB. Such a silly thing. Does anyone have any quick and easy answers?

Thank you.
Lynne Desrochers

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on March 18, 2013, 04:24:04 PM
I'm having an issue with a PDF. We got a PDF from the company, it's got one thing on it that they want to change. We print it to paperport (version 12), we convert it to edit it and then it's blown up from 127 kb to 6.6 MB. Such a silly thing. Does anyone have any quick and easy answers?

Thank you.

If you print from PaperPort to the PaperPort printer or another PDF printer, does that reduce the size of the file?  It might be that the file has several "layers" in it, that take up some room, and that "flattening" the file and making it "2 dimensional" will undo that.  Of course, I don't know a lot about PDF files, but it's just a guess.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks Jeff, I tried printing it to Cute PDF and it just made it bigger.
Lynne Desrochers

Billy Welsh

Are you editing with PaperPort?

No experience with PP, but Acrobat will flatten a file for you which usually reduces the file size.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

JohnGage

Another thought it to save the file to your Paperport folder - don't print it just save the original to that folder.  Then try to convert and see what happens to that file size.  Will still probably increase but perhaps not so much that it becomes unacceptable.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks for the suggestions, I will go back and try it this way and see what happens! I've tried getting her to edit with Adobe, but she doesn't seem to think it's that easy.
Lynne Desrochers

Jim Jensen

If you have Adobe Standard or better, you could put a white box over the info that needs to be changed, then use the typewriter function to type in the new info. When doing this, I usually re-print to PDF to flatten the images so the box and new text can't be deleted or moved.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Billy Welsh

What Jim said (methinks he is telepathic - a thought thief as opposed to thought police  ;) ).

There is almost always a way to do it in Acrobat, so long as the PDF is not locked down too hard.  It is not always as straightforward as editing existing text, as Jim's suggestion indicates, but doable nonetheless.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect