Report Access

Started by Matthew Udovich, April 07, 2010, 09:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Udovich

Good Morning people  ;D, I am wondering if it's possible to give access to just one user defined report to a person? Or if there is some kind of work around to build the report under that user?? Basically mgmt wants marketing to be able to go in and run a report off of first written date, and get back first written date, cust name, and premium and agency commission from billing screen.

Thanks for the advice :-)

-Matthew

Heather Reetz

You can get close.  When you create the User Defined, the Description Tab will give you "security equivalence" so you know exactly which reports they need access to in order to run the report.  Hope that helps!
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!

Matthew Udovich

How do I assign the security? Right now the user has no access to reports, when I go into security manager it looks like it is all or nothing for user defined searches.

Heather Reetz

True, but the reports themselves have individual security.  So, if they can run User Defined Reports, they still won't have security to, say Reports->Marketing->Customers->Cusomers-Main File (as an example), unless you grant that to them under reports.  At least that's the way it works in 7.4 (which we are on).  The "security equivalence" in the user defined report tells you which report(s) they need access to in order to run that user defined report.

I've also learned that restrictions can be made as far as department, or branch, or agency.  So, say they can run a report on personal lines (dept 1), but not benefits (dept 3).  If that is the case, the report will not run for them until they modify the criteria to only dept 1.

Clear as mud?   :P
Heather Reetz

Matthew Udovich

....ah,no,...well...yes, then again maybe....  ;D I know more than I did this morning anyway, thanks for the direction

Heather Reetz

OK, let me try to be more clear.   ::)

User has access to User Defined Reports.  User is denied access to Reports.  Result=User cannot run User Defined Report.

User has access to User Defined Reports.  User has access to the types of report that are listed in the Security Equivalence in the User Defined Report that you want them to have access to.  They run with criteria selected that they are granted access to.  Result=Success - they run the report in User Defined.

User has access to User Defined Reports.  User attempts to run a user defined report with Security Equivalence that is different from the specifics you set up in the previous example.  Result=User cannot run report.

Does that help, or make it more confusing?
Heather Reetz

Matthew Udovich

Hans Manhave

And, for good measure, let's not forget, user has no access to employee info.  User does have access to general ledger.  Therefore, user has access to any payroll information.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Andrew Carrick

....and don't forget to adjust Agency, Branch and Department criteria to suit User's access rights - those cause us problems from time to time.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Andrew Carrick

Quote from: Heather Reetz on April 07, 2010, 03:14:43 PM
Clear as mud?   :P

Yes it is - I suggest you put that info in the "TAM Reports" wiki article Heather.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Heather Reetz

Oooh!  I've never contributed to a Wiki.  ;D 

I feel awfully special now.   8)
Heather Reetz

Andrew Carrick

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Heather Reetz

And  I just moved up in status to "Casual Observer."  No more "Lurker" status for me.   ;D
Heather Reetz

Heather Reetz

Ha ha, so yeah... to knock my cool points down a few notches... I don't know how to wiki.   :-[

So feel free to add it, Andrew.  Or whomever.
Heather Reetz

Andrew Carrick

OK will do, but probably be next week - having a bit of a 'mare this week :(
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK