Issue with Sophos Locking up Computers?

Started by Jeff Zylstra, March 11, 2013, 04:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Thoele

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 19, 2013, 10:22:26 AM
An update.... 

I have continued to experience lockups, and it has spread to 3rd computer.  Apparently and as Rick has indicated, it is version 10.2.5 that is the culprit.  It has something to do with shares that are excluded from scanning using the "on access" file scanning.  I have removed the exclusions (which were TAM related), and everything is OK for the moment.  The tech said that version 10.2.6 is supposed to be released this afternoon, which fixes this issue. 

The other fix was to roll back to verion 10.2.4, which I am unable to do because I run "Sophos Control Center" instead of "Enterprise Console".  I am downloading Enterprise Console as we speak and will be upgrading this week.   Apparently they are sun-setting Control Center soon which is OK with me because no one ever knows how to find things there when I call.  Just thought everyone would want to know since there are some other Sophos users here.

Do you get Patch Assessment with Control Center?  That is the coolest thing.  I run Enterprise Console.  I've also thought about running the Astaro appliance.
Ben Thoele, I.T. Coordinator
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Ben Thoele on March 19, 2013, 10:30:50 AM

Do you get Patch Assessment with Control Center?  That is the coolest thing.  I run Enterprise Console.  I've also thought about running the Astaro appliance.

You can download the UTM software that the appliance runs and install it on just about any hardware with reasonable specs "for home use" - good way to test the appliance.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 19, 2013, 10:22:26 AM
An update.... 

I have continued to experience lockups, and it has spread to 3rd computer.  Apparently and as Rick has indicated, it is version 10.2.5 that is the culprit.  It has something to do with shares that are excluded from scanning using the "on access" file scanning.  I have removed the exclusions (which were TAM related), and everything is OK for the moment.  The tech said that version 10.2.6 is supposed to be released this afternoon, which fixes this issue. 

The other fix was to roll back to verion 10.2.4, which I am unable to do because I run "Sophos Control Center" instead of "Enterprise Console".  I am downloading Enterprise Console as we speak and will be upgrading this week.   Apparently they are sun-setting Control Center soon which is OK with me because no one ever knows how to find things there when I call.  Just thought everyone would want to know since there are some other Sophos users here.

What!?  I thought Rick was a genius, and now I find out he's getting insider information through patch assessment?  That's cheating!  ;)   

In answer to your question, no, control center is rather bare bones.  No patch assessment, no additional tools, and no customizations as it only supports one policy for all machines.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on March 19, 2013, 10:32:59 AM

You can download the UTM software that the appliance runs and install it on just about any hardware with reasonable specs "for home use" - good way to test the appliance.

OK.  Maybe he is a genius.   ;)
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop