Widescreen v. 4:3 monitor size

Started by Jan Regnier, February 18, 2013, 11:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conan_Ward

I think the problem i'd have with that (at least at home) is deskspace...my old 4:3 17's (both of which died within an hour of each other sunday night, perfect to go into holiday monday when I couldn't replace them). The new 24 thats replacing both will do alright for now, but I got out the measuring tape to see the reality of not fitting anything else in there for now...

Now if only the 24 will show up (waiting for it to get shipped to my local computer shop) so I can move my tower back from the living room...setting up on a card table in front of the tv just isn't as much fun as it should be.
Former TAM support, P&C licensed in Maryland, LFW

Billy Welsh

So true.  Using 2 hand-me-down standard 19's at home which is fine.  Luckily also scored a hand-me-down computer desk with plenty of room for them.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Debbie Fuson

Two 24" monitors do take up a lot of desk real estate!   When we started getting second monitors for my 24" users, I gave them an option of taking a smaller monitor for the second one.  Those that said they wanted/needed a second 24", I had them come to my desk and see how much room they were giving up.   Some did change their minds, and a few even asked to give up the one 24" for two smaller monitors.

Okay, guys, I have to tell you my funny dual monitor story.  We have a remote office.  One of the agency principals was there and sent me this email:  "(Name of AM removed) wants to see what dual monitors look like.  Can you take a picture and send it to her?"   I'm like, what?  What do dual monitors look like?  Is this a joke?  But I took a picture and emailed it to her and got a "Thanks!" in response.  O-kay....

A few weeks later, the same AM emails and asks if when they get dual monitors, will they get "real" dual monitors.   Her friend's office got "real" dual monitors, and they are just wonderful!   I have no idea what she's talking about, so I ask, as nicely as I can, what she means.   She answers that she doesn't want two monitors sitting together on her desk because that's just tacky looking!

So now, I'm really confused.  What is dual monitors if not, you know, two monitors?  She sends me a picture off the internet....of two monitors....on a dual monitor stand.    Bless her heart, she never thought to ask if she could have a stand that held two monitors.  She thought it was some kind of special monitor.  And the kicker is that she wasn't asking to conserve desk space.  No.  She liked that her friend can move both of her monitors up and down at the same time. 
Debbie Fuson
Brown & Brown of Tennessee
Vision 6.4 and Inscope

DebAmstutz

She liked that her friend can move both of her monitors up and down at the same time.

At least it doesn't take much to make some people happy!  ;D
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Hans Manhave

:)  Because ammo is now the hottest commodity and one can watch the price, availability etc just like the stock market, I may have to install a third and fourth monitor.   :)

But to continue the conversation on monitor proportions, it is worthwhile to pay attention to the size proportions of the wide screen monitor also.  Even those come differently.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

Quote from: Dutch Dude on February 21, 2013, 05:04:15 PM
But to continue the conversation on monitor proportions, it is worthwhile to pay attention to the size proportions of the wide screen monitor also.  Even those come differently.

Yep.  I wasn't paying attention and I bought two wide screen monitors with a very low and lame max resolution.  I hate them.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security