Main Menu

Backup Device: Encryption?

Started by Charlie Charbonneau, February 04, 2013, 01:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Welsh

I am no attorney or bureaucrat, but that seems like enough to me.  Ours is behind a locked door, but locks are for honest people.  Also have a suspended ceiling.

Even with encryption, if the thief really wants the data I suspect he can get it.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jason@KiteTech

Some states are requiring that you encrypt data at rest.  Most are simply requiring that you document your best efforts.  Since TAM doesn't support drive level encryption, you can document that and be fine.  Just make sure your physical safeguards are decent (locked room, locked cabinet, locked faceplate, etc.) to preven the server from walking.  I'd throw in recoded surveillance just for good measure.

With regards to encrypting a backup drive:  My concern would be from a bare metal recovery scenario.  If your encryption is within the backup product (such as Acronis) then you don't have to worry about creating an environment to be able to access the data before continuing.
Jason Gobbel

The Kite Technology Group

Mark

Quote from: Jason@KiteTech on February 09, 2013, 11:45:09 AM
With regards to encrypting a backup drive:  My concern would be from a bare metal recovery scenario.  If your encryption is within the backup product (such as Acronis) then you don't have to worry about creating an environment to be able to access the data before continuing.

That's why I liked the TrueCrypt idea.  Not a big deal do download as needed.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

Dredging up an old post, but it's still a relevant topic - is this still the case for Tam 2017 & 2018? 6 years is a long time in the software world, though not in TAM-land.

Quote from: Conan_Ward on February 07, 2013, 04:24:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge TAM will not like working on an encrypted drive (or may just not work entirely).
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Golas

Really shouldn't matter, although now you're better off using Bitlocker or the like. Once the device is "mounted" (decrypted) it should operate like any other device.

Quote from: Jim Jensen on August 01, 2019, 04:35:01 PM
Dredging up an old post, but it's still a relevant topic - is this still the case for Tam 2017 & 2018? 6 years is a long time in the software world, though not in TAM-land.

Quote from: Conan_Ward on February 07, 2013, 04:24:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge TAM will not like working on an encrypted drive (or may just not work entirely).
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Tom Fisher

As Jeff mentioned .. if you use Bitlocker no program should know the difference.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com