Signatures in Formletters

Started by Heather Reetz, March 29, 2010, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heather Reetz

Is there a way to have a formletter merge the producert name (Pr2), then based on that, insert a signature?

Or do I have to have all of the sig's in there, and delete those that don't apply?
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!

JohnGage

There is a way that envolves using nexted IF statements.  In doc setup you use an if statement to say if PR1="AA" then insert AA.jpg and then you nest multiple ifs together so that you cover all your producers.  In doc setup you end up seeing all the signatures but once the document is merged only the appropriate image appears. 

I just looking in my notes and didn't see the exact syntax.  I'll look again this afternoon and see if I can find it.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

JohnGage

Here is how you insert a specific image into a formletter/proposal based on the data in a given field.

If you wanted to evaluate the CSR field for CSR# 4 you would insert an IF statement
{ IF "<CUST.INS.CSRCODE>" = "4""AAA""" }
This looks for CSR# 4 and inserts the text AAA into your form letter.  To insert the CSRs signature delete the AAA from the IF statement and from the Insert menu choose Insert -> Picture from file.  Remember to pull your image from a network drive so all your users will have access to it.

Now let's take it one step further, what if you want one image to appear if CSR #4 is on the file and a different image to appear if CSR #3 is on the file?
{ IF "<CUST.INS.CSRCODE>" = "4""AAA""{ IF "<CUST.INS.CSRCODE>" = "3""BBB""" }" } 
Same IF statement as before but we add a 2nd IF statment in the FALSE section of the original statement.  Again replace the AAA with the image for CSR#4 and replace BBB with the image for CSR#3. 

You can continue this process a number of times to cover a number of CSRs but I believe there is a limit.  8 sounds right but I could be wrong about that.

Clear as mud?
John Gage
Systems Admin

53 users TAM Online

Heather Reetz

Thanks, John.

Actually, I think I follow all of that.  I inserted my IF statement, then replace the "AAA" with the image.  Then, I insert my cursor in between the next set of quote marks and do another IF statement with my next code and image.

Now, I did this a third time, both with the image set of IF statements, and with a set that puts the full name below the signature.  I can't see a difference in the IF statements, but the name set works with all three producers, and the signature set only works if the producer is one of the first two.

Any idea what I could be missing?
Heather Reetz

JohnGage

Sounds like there is something wrong in the placement of the 3rd signature image.  Put the statements side by side and look close, my bet is that your image is in the wrong set of quotes or you are missing a quote mark.  It could also be your brackets, be sure you have the same number of close brackets as you do open brackets.

Another possibility is a problem with the TAM data.  If you are pulling the producer code from the billing screen be sure the code is in PR1 - or whatever produer position you are comparing against. 

I'm not sure if this would work but what if you setup each of your IF stamements seperately and then cut and pasted them together?  TAM doesn't always like C&P but if it worked it would make the process much easier.
John Gage
Systems Admin

53 users TAM Online

Heather Reetz

It was a missing quote.  It wasn't close to the 3rd signature image, though.  It looked like it should have screwed up the second signature.  Oh well, it seems to be working now.  Thanks so much for your help and suggestions!
Heather Reetz

JohnGage

John Gage
Systems Admin

53 users TAM Online