Main Menu

dell optiplex 790

Started by Lynne Desrochers, November 27, 2012, 08:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Golas

I have a handful of 790's - no issues. That said, I've had a couple recently where by dumb luck when taking it out of the box I noticed the cards half loose. I think UPS plays air hockey with the boxes and a couple of their trucks, so you may want to give the whole thing a look over and see if any cards or memory sticks are loose.

ALSO - something I've experienced in the past - we had issues with a couple printers, actually a bunch of printers whenever we went from winter to summer. I couldn't understand it but it always happened. One day I wised up and checked the voltage on the outlets - 98 volts. Bingo. As it turned out the AC compressor for the building was on it's last leg and was putting a severe strain on the electrical system. One day it finally threw a rod and our printers worked great ever since.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Sherry Burrell

The only Optiplex's I had problems with were the small form factor ones.  Each one failed - they get too hot.  I quit buying those several years ago.
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Mark

Quote from: Sherry Burrell on November 29, 2012, 12:04:36 PM
The only Optiplex's I had problems with were the small form factor ones.  Each one failed - they get too hot.  I quit buying those several years ago.

I know that was a common problem with them years ago -- can't remember how long ago, but it hasn't been a problem with any of our 760's.  We have the SFF, but not the smaller ones, forget what they are Ultra SFF maybe?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Golas on November 28, 2012, 04:11:16 PM
I have a handful of 790's - no issues. That said, I've had a couple recently where by dumb luck when taking it out of the box I noticed the cards half loose. I think UPS plays air hockey with the boxes and a couple of their trucks, so you may want to give the whole thing a look over and see if any cards or memory sticks are loose.

ALSO - something I've experienced in the past - we had issues with a couple printers, actually a bunch of printers whenever we went from winter to summer. I couldn't understand it but it always happened. One day I wised up and checked the voltage on the outlets - 98 volts. Bingo. As it turned out the AC compressor for the building was on it's last leg and was putting a severe strain on the electrical system. One day it finally threw a rod and our printers worked great ever since.

Something else that will do that is when one of the "legs" of your 3 phase blows a fuse.  The AC will try and draw and enormous amount of power, as it's trying to run without that phase.  Anytime you see the lights dim when the AC or heat kicks on, you should have it looked at.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop