Main Menu

Cat 6 v Cat 5e cabling

Started by Jim Jensen, September 26, 2012, 02:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ric

Quote from: Gene Foraker on September 28, 2012, 12:13:29 PM
As long as the old farts are gathering around....

I first bought TAM when they were selling it on alloy cards.    I insisted on buying it on one of the first Novel installations.   They sent out several high level techs from the HO to install it and they were still reading manuals.   I had it on Arcnet, I think that was coax.

They called the network ASLAN. Applied Systems LAN.    I guess no one had read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

I guess no one had read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.  (surely not ;o)
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Terry Evans

Does anyone recommend going wireless as opposed to hard-wired for a small office?  We are moving to a new 1800SF space and I'm wondering about the cost. 

Cabling contractor says about $125-$150 per drop for computer/phone line together. 

I'm wondering if I should go wireless and voip?
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Hans Manhave

Wired would be a bit faster.  I don't think you can get to 1000mb performance with wireless just yet.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Charlie Charbonneau

Quote from: Terry Evans on October 19, 2012, 06:32:53 PM
Cabling contractor says about $125-$150 per drop for computer/phone line together. 

I swear, I'm in the wrong business... That just seems high.  But I'd go wired over wireless as well. (Personally I'd just run my own wires tho)
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Hans Manhave

Also good to consider that TAM in house executes on the desktop and reports run on the desktop causing the accessed tables to be transfered to the workstation for the job.  Each time.  You may not have large tables, but it all adds up in a performance issue.

No idea about VOIP.  I do have that wireless in a much larger office than yours, but almost all the stations are wired and non-VOIP.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein