Editing TAM databases - Subject of Insurance

Started by JohnGage, July 17, 2012, 12:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnGage

The subject of insurance field on the Commercial Property app is one of the most "code-filled" fields when an agency turns on commercial download.  The ability to double click in the field to retrieve what the code means is invaluable but alas the list hard coded in TAM is incomplete.  I was able to get a list of codes from ACORD and found there are 249 coverage codes in the standard.  TAM contains 49 of these codes.

After sitting on this for about an hour I decided I wanted to know how possible it was to add the missing codes to TAM.  Knowing that there is no utility built into the system I looked to the databases.  Surprisingly the files were named properly enough I easily found the two files that need edited in order to add the missing codes to TAM.  I added a sample code and reindexed the two databases.  Nothing blew up, my codes appeared on the app, night utilities was successful . . .

So I am looking to the community - why shouldn't I make my user's life easier and add the missing codes from the standard?  I hesitate to add any company unique codes if for no other reason because if two carriers use the same code, but for different coverages, I could have significant problems.  But why not add the ACORD standard codes?

Normally I would frown upon editing the databases but in our case we have not taken advantage of download specifically because of the CSR's inability to read the apps due to these codes.  This wouldn't be the only issue we need to resolve in order to activate commercial download across the board but it's a biggie for us.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

Hans Manhave

By all means, update the database(s) and continue.  Just document somewhere what you did so if a TAM update knocks it out, you'll know where to go and add it back or make other changes.  One would hate to install an update and then call Applied to complain that they had previously something that is now not there if one added it oneself.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein