1 MB for a one page document

Started by Lynne Desrochers, June 29, 2012, 11:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

I have a carrier that consistently sends us large size documents for things that are just 1 or two pages. I just got a call from their IT department to say that "well 1 MB is not that big and normal for a document". For one page? Am I off base? You can tell me I can take it.
Thank goodness there's an all you can eat ice cream festival in Philly this weekend.  It's been a week.
Lynne Desrochers

Charlie Charbonneau

IF it's a color PDF yeah...  BW Tiff's or similar are much smaller.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Lynne Desrochers

Not color, just a one page invoice. Black and white.
Lynne Desrochers

Alice Mooney

I've scanned a B&W page on our color copier and it is huge.  I have to remember to change the setting to B&W in order for it to be smaller. Just another possibility and sounds like they really aren't concerned enough to look in to it.
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Charlie Charbonneau

True, just because it LOOKS B&W doesn't mean it was printed as B&W!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Hans Manhave

It would be interesting to learn what was used to create the PDF.  If it was software, there are probably settings to take care of graphics, compression, color just as there is with a hardware (scanner/copier) generated document.  Some people overlook those settings.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Lance Bateman

Other options that could be causing problem - if done as Word bitmap; or tiff?

Billy Welsh

Machines are currently stupid.  So if you print a B&W document to a color printer and tell it to print in color, you will get a B&W printout made by mixing color ink/toner.

Along the same lines, if you scan a B&W as color, the scan may still look B&W, but the software is considering the B&W as colors (usually multiple shades) & is likely to give you a large file size.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Terry Evans

I was just going to do a similar post when I saw this.  I don't think Vendors, Companies, Clients really understand how fast storage size adds up when we are paperless.  Clients scan stuff from those home all-in-ones and it usually comes in about 1MB per page. 

Our scansnaps come in about 1MB/20 pages when average quality settings are used.

I recently printed a 179 page document from TAM and it was 183MB (more than 1MB per page).  This was all of the certificates on a client and I Previewed and saved to PDF.  When I went to Menu Bar>Document>Reduce file size, it reduced the document from 183MB to 2MB.  Imagine how much room is being wasted on storage from documents generated through TAM.  It takes way to much time to reduce the size of every file, but that's a lot of space.
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks everyone for their input. It's a company, so i would have thought that someone else would have called them on their scanning size by now. Terry your post makes me feel better, it's not just me. However, now I'm worried how many 183 MB files I have out there. The other issue is it takes a while to open a 183 MB pdf, and if they are opening it and printing it remotely, forget about it. At least that's our experience here.
It's hump day.   :)
lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Mark

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on July 11, 2012, 08:08:10 AM
now I'm worried how many 183 MB files I have out there.

Slightly off base, but years back I saw the free space on our eTFile server rapidly shrinking.  Went into the Fileroom and sorted by file size to find single page images GIGABYTES in size!  MANY of them!  After some quick research, I found that some print to eTFile settings were wrong for a handful of people.  Seems it was defaulting (to what I can't remember) for everyone but luckily only a handful of people actually use this feature.

Paying attention to details that may seem trivial at times can actually be a big deal.  Black and white documents should only be kilobytes.  Regardless of file type.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

$38 but this software appears to be worth a shot.  It appears to work in batch mode.

www.verypdf.com/pdfinfoeditor/index.html

Disclaimer: I have not used this.  
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Golas

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on June 29, 2012, 11:38:01 AMThank goodness there's an all you can eat ice cream festival in Philly this weekend.  It's been a week.

Whoa what hey...you mean I missed it??
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Lynne Desrochers

Yes, you missed it  :'( for you  ;D for me. It was at Penns landing Saturday and Sunday. Sadly, the 10 and 12 year olds we were with were willing to turn in their spoons long before I was ready.  It was great, they had everyone from Ben & Jerrys to Breyers to of course, Bassetts.  yum.
Lynne Desrochers

Hans Manhave

How about Blue Bunny and Blue Bell?

It looks like all the ice cream brands must start with a 'B'.

Lynne Desrochers

No, not all B's, Edy's and Turkey Hill, hmmm, who else... I can't remember. It was all good though. Not enough chocolate offerings, but it just forced me to expand my horizons, both in ice cream flavors and my waistline.
Lynne Desrochers