adobe standard - eraser?

Started by Lynne Desrochers, June 08, 2012, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

I'm trying to roll out new windows 7 workstations. We have quite a few people who love their paperport, unfortunately we did not purchase it, it just came with our old scan snaps. We do have enough Adobe Standard disks around that we could use. I have one stumbling block and that's the eraser. I don't see where I can easily erase like i could in formtyper. Am I missing something? Should we just bite the bullet and purchase PaperPort for the windows 7 machines? Thank you for any advice or recommendations.
Lynne Desrochers

Jeff Zylstra

I struggle with this sometimes as well.  I don't need a PDF editor very often, but when I do I really need one.  I did a Google search for "free PDF editor" and came up with this site.  Apparently it doesn't install much of anything, but instead uses Java inside of your browser to edit documents through a website.  None of the documents that I edit are confidential, so it doesn't bother me that it uses a website to perform the edits.   I just thought it was interesting.

Lynne, I love the many different functions of Paper Port, but I hate the program because of its incompatibilities and way too frequent need to be reinstalled because of corrupted installs.  If that is the only function you need, I'd investigate this program.   I found it to be pretty quick and simple to use for simple editing tasks. 

http://www.pdfescape.com/
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

An option if it fits the budget would be Acrobat Professional upgrades to install "over" your standard license.

Professional includes a redaction tool, which is awesome.  Will permanently delete anything you select in a document - text, graphics, lines.

I am unfamiliar with Paperport, but obviously you are not finding an equivalent tool in Acrobat Standard.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Debbie Fuson

If all you need to do is a little editing - PDFX-change Viewer.  The free version and the Pro version are the same software.  There are just some features, such as the ability to move/add/delete pages, that you are locked out of  in the free version.  The Pro license also comes with a PDF print driver. 

The closest thing it has to what you describe is the ability to put a block over something to hide it.  Then you can flatten the comments so it isn't obvious what you've done.

They have several different versions, but we use the Viewer Pro:   http://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads/

Debbie Fuson
Brown & Brown of Tennessee
Vision 6.4 and Inscope

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks guys for all the responses, where did the month go? I ended up getting a deal on some paperport licenses and I realized I can not change some peoples habits, no matter how much I try.  :)
I will for myself, look into these other programs. I don't need no stinkin' paperport.
Lynne Desrochers