AV Streaming Boxes (Roku, Western Digital, Apple TV, etc)

Started by Jeff Golas, April 23, 2012, 04:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Golas

I picked up an AppleTV today to use with my iphone/ipad at home...I know its not the end all of streaming devices I really just wanted something that will stream music and youtube from my iphone/ipad. Anyhows...it got me thinking...I have a digital sign in our kitchen running on a full blown PC...does anyone know if any of these little  tv streaming boxes such as a Roku will do a photo gallery on power on, and can be updated via the network?

For example, I'd like to store some pictures on it and just have it turn on and go right into displaying photos. I probably wouldn't mind having to deal with an SD card or usb stick for updates but I'd rather just be able to store photos on it right over the network if possible (or maybe have it pull from a share on a server?)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Bob

You can do this with iTV.  I do it all the time.

Once your iTV is on both your iPad and iPhone and other iDevices will show a new icon I think in upper right corner.  Only shows when iTV is on and in range via wifi.   You can send most anything displayed on devices to TV for display hitting button.

If I am out taking a bunch of pics, I walk in hit button and instantly film role plays on TV.   You can send music, pictures, video, movies to it but not apps.

Kenny Cruzan

Not instantly.  Don't you still have to select TV source and then hit the send to iTV button on the iphone?

I got one thinking I would use it but because the TV I have it hooked up is running through receiver with universal remote, I have yet to get my remote programmed for it so I am stuck trying to find TV remote and selecting source.  And of course this means I don't ever use it........

If I just could get my hands on the remote software to program myself instead of paying the AV guy to come out and program.

Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Windows 2008 server, ATS Backup
eTFile 4.6.1.0, Citrix XenDesktop,
Citrix XenApp7.6
80 users, 100 employees, 15 offices
Dell R710's with XenServer

Bob

Kenny you could connect an auto sensing HDMI switch vs. changing input.  Then what ever powers up sends signal, I'm powering up switch to me and viola..

I have this Logitech Harmony remote.    I bought a bluetooth add on as well for the PS3.   For me it's just a push of button on universal remote and tv input changed to iTV, denon switches to fiber optic input from iTV and ready to go.

I just don't understand why iPhone doesn't include IR and RF transmitters.  Think of the app development and being able to remotely control most anything with your iPhone.   Then you could just point phone at tv change it and start viewing same time.   They already want your smart phone to be your end all device.  SO add the IR and RF and you could!  I would buy that phone and switch providers it would be that handy.

Bob

Wanted to clarify the idea better too.  I know you can use wifi and app to control direct tv and others.   Others buy a device then use their app.   My idea is phone does it all directly.   No logging into account, registering devices, setting up app.   Just use the phone, point and it reacts whether it's tv, garage door, thermostat, ceiling fan and more.  How hard would it be to add components (small anyhow), then let app writers make remote apps that appear and look like theirs but on your phone touch display.  Even an app to manage all remotes maybe.  Just want to keep phone in hand and do all not reach for this or that.

Hope this makes more sense.  :)

Jeff Golas

Bob...look into the Griffin Beacon and the Micasaverde box :-)

Played with the AppleTV all last night and really like it...honestly all I wanted it for was really a nice interface for youtube. I practically watch almost no tv except for a couple shows when I bother, but Im always looking things up and really wanted a way to watch training/demo vids and stuff and hooking up a PC just for that purpose didn't make sense.

Now if Apple ever got off their high horse (never gonna happen) and simply opened it up to where it plays other formats besides their own and maybe had an IR blaster...wow...

In my case I have an arcade room in the basement...my stereo has a "zone 2" output on it and it wouldn't be that difficult to install wall speakers downstairs. Now I'm dying to put some in so that as long as the stereo is on...I can just stream music from my phone right to the speakers.

I'm half tempted to get the Griffin Beacon just for the sole purpose of being able to turn on/control the stereo from my phone as well, but a hacked up universal remote would do the job for 1/10th the cost :-)
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Jeff Golas

PS - I have that same Harmony remote in our main board room...a lot cheaper than the Crestron and I have full and easy control over its programming, unlike the crestron thats sitting in a box and will probably never be used again.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Bob

Was just looking at the device.  I like it and does what I want except I have to spend 69.99 for a device, plant it somewhere taking up space to achieve what I would like the phone to do.   I think if a smart phone included IR and/or RF would be a hot seller.   Better yet, could use it on road too, or in office board room control projector etc.

I guess the con to it all is everyone could change the TV at the local sports bar.   ???  LOL

Yes the device overall does what I would want. Control everything not just TV.  I have been loyal to Apple but I would jump ship if Android or other phone would build this into phone.  :)

In the end if no phones take this leap, I would buy this.   My contract is up so now I get all those offers on various phones etc.  I just want a truly smart phone!   ;) :)

I'm going to send the info on Griffin to my step-father.   He would love it!  :)

Jeff Golas

Since I like voiding warranties...as long as it works for the most part and supports all the functions...there's a couple things you can do to hack...er.."improve" that Griffin device. First and foremost the big complaint is batteries...well depending on how many batteries it takes, just connect a generic wall rat up to the battery compartment. (4batt = 6v 3batt=4.5v)

As for the taking up space, some people have said to mount it under a coffee table but you could experiment...as long as the room isn't super washed with daylight you could stash it on top a shelf, in the equipment closet, etc. Usually IR "fills" a room good enough to hit what you need to hit, so you'd probably be surprised as to how well it may work in an odd place.

My idea though...would be to take it apart and just locate the IR blaster LED in the tv stand and stash the rest of the unit behind the TV or something...again, because I like breaking warranties :-)
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Bob

Gotta laugh!  From day men are born until we go, we love to take things apart.   Often I would put back together but have extra pieces but somehow things still worked.  This is why I don't work on engines.

I found this large speaker in the back alley when I was about 7 (70s and 80s speakers were huge bigger the better).  Brought it back to the house and decided to take it apart.  Then took apart a hand held transistor radio.  Removed the internal speaker, place the radio inside the big speaker and wired it to that large thing.  Inserted battery and had a speaker with no wires playing music.  My dad was impressed and used it on the patio when we entertained with the pool and BBQs back in 70s.  It too had extra parts when I was done.   ???

You just gave me an idea though.  Might take this older iPhone 3GS apart.  I'll wait for new phone 1st I'm sure I'll have more parts when reassembled.   ;D

+1 for the ideas turning me onto Griffin.

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Bob Connor on April 24, 2012, 12:35:35 PM
Gotta laugh!  From day men are born until we go, we love to take things apart.   Often I would put back together but have extra pieces but somehow things still worked.  This is why I don't work on engines.

Many an automobile engine purred like a kitten long term despite leftover parts from my brother & I.  It just depends on what part(s) are left over.

Mind you, had we been working on aircraft, I'd look at it a little differently!
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bob

ROFL!  Thanks!   Many of times you get it back together and think that wasn't bad.  Look behind you at those left over parts and begin to think, "This can't be good."  Then you test it, yet it still runs.   ???   ;)

Billy Welsh

You guys have my head spinning with all this stuff.  What strikes me is that TV's, DVR's, etc. don't have Bluetooth.  I mean, what a natural and easy thing to add, then the manufacturer could have their own iPhone/Android remote app.

On another note, anybody come across a Wi-Fi HVAC thermostat that doesn't cost a small fortune?  Again would seem like a natural and some are doing but looks pretty costly from what I see.  Both of these industries seem way behind to me.  I can get a Wi-Fi thermostat which needs to basically do what, 3 things, but it costs 2-3 times more than my Wi-Fi router/firewall that does so much more???
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Bob

Billy Welsh

If it's Wi-Fi then theoretically you can control with iPhone, iPad, Droid, Mac, PC, ....

At least if I designed it.

You are a better Googler than me - I've looked a couple of times but never saw one as reasonable as the one you linked.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Jeff Golas

Remote control thermostat? Sure google Trane Z-wave thermostat and you see the one I have in my house.

Add in the Micasaverde appliance and its iphone controllable from anywhere. Thats my intention but I'm doing it piece by piece. I'm also having a problem with it as it by itself with a z-wave remote isn't working so well, in fact it barely gets about a 4 foot range. That said z-wave is a mesh network so I'm thinking by adding one z-wave device somewhere...that may fix it. At least thats what I'm hoping!
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Billy Welsh

Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Jon Robinson

Jumping in late here, but you can do this on Roku.  You can connect it to your Picasa/google photos account and stream the photos.  You can also get the app PlayOn to work on top of Roku and stream a lot more both on your phone/tablet/PC.  Right now if you sign up for a lifetime subscription for PlayOn, you get a free lower end Roku free.
System Administrator
Dale Barton Agency, SLC, UT
Vision LAN 6.2
jrobinson@dalebarton.com
801-288-1600

Jeff Golas

Quote from: Billy Welsh on April 25, 2012, 10:08:57 AM
Jeff, I saw that one.  Just seemed pricey to me.

GE has a z-wave remote that works the thermostat where you wouldn't need the verde, it doesn't i-phone enable it but eh its not bad. It should have a decent range and yes you can actually specify what temp you want from the remote. Its pretty cool but like I said I'm having issues with the range. I may try calling trane maybe they'll swap it out.

I got mine from rat shack when they dumped all their schlage home automation stuff cheap...kicking myself for not getting more but this is was around this time last year when I bought my house (1 yr anniversary today!)
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Jeff Golas

Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24