Main Menu

Windows 7

Started by shuffman, March 15, 2010, 12:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shuffman

I have been using Windows 7 for quite sometime.  I have got some critical help from the Asnet Usergroup.  Mainly, to update the Tam short-cut on desktop to point to wintam\wintam.exe (instead of asupdate.exe).  Special note, any upgrade on Tam you need to run Asupdate.exe /rr

If you don't do the above you will not be able to print certificates and will get some issues with doing transactions.  It is also critical that you not try to use the 64 bit version (alot of feedback indicates not working)

My question is are there going to be some Applied tips, timelines, etc on supporting Windows 7.  Can there be a team that works with some agents they know have at least one machine running to help get the ducks in a row.    Also, please post other issues if other users have them. 

Steve Huffman

Kevin Crow

I encourage you to create a AU wiki article re: using Windows 7 with TAM on unsupported versions. It looks like there are several agencies looking for this info on the newsgroups right now. It would be great to be able to reply with a link to the AU wiki article.
Kevin Crow
Kapnick Insurance Group
@kevincrow1 on Twitter
www.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-crow/8/8b6/4bb/

Bob

I agree!  I've talked to several agencies in need of new hardware and wanting Windows 7 not XP.  XP is ok except you can not upgrade to W7.  Short fix with later headaches.

If I deploy anything today I want Windows 7!  An ongoing Wiki would be great!  :)

Bloody Jack Kidd

I think the systems our parent company has been ordering have XP downgrade and Win7 upgrade rights - it's the perfect recipe for skipping Vista.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bob

I agree skipping Vista but still what a PITA XP installed but when ready for W7 have to format and install w7.   

For insurance people this is not cool, expensive and time consuming.  For IT people it's money!  ;)

Why many are forcing TAM on W7 and an ongoing Wiki would be great for all of us following.  :)

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Bob Connor on March 15, 2010, 01:40:12 PM

Why many are forcing TAM on W7 and an ongoing Wiki would be great for all of us following.  :)

Wiki is open to anyone who wishing to do such a thing.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Bob Connor on March 15, 2010, 01:40:12 PM

I agree skipping Vista but still what a PITA XP installed but when ready for W7 have to format and install w7.   

For insurance people this is not cool, expensive and time consuming.  For IT people it's money!  ;)

I have done a clean install of Win7 twice now.   It maybe takes a half hour or a little longer, I didn't time it.   After that it would just be like setting up a new XP PC with Office, TAM, AV, etc.   It's not really a big project.   If you set up new PCs on a regular basis you should have the routine down.   If I go too long without doing it, it takes me much longer.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Bloody Jack Kidd

I guess anyone who does a lot of installs should learn how to create a gold standard image and become adept at sysprep.

I've used gold standard BSD images for rapid deployment of BSD instances in a virtual environment as well as a linux thin client image on a usb stick for rapid conversion of old desktop hardware into a thin client.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

That would also be a great wiki topic... I am one of those people who don't do many
installs... boss tends to keep computers WAY longer than needed... so when I have to
do a new one, it takes me forever :-)

Don't images have their own problems?  What do you do when the image doesn't
match the new computer's hardware (or even version of windows?)

Thanks!
Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users