Karma for your tips

Started by Bob, March 30, 2012, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Yes bribery!  I'd like to see helpline be more active. 

Whether a simple tip, known tip, more creative tip or maybe even unknown, Karma for your tip.  Sure others would share the love too.  ;)

Anything you share helps others.   Anyone care to start? Lance?  :)

Jeff Zylstra

I run a batch file about once a month that cleans out all of the temp files, browser cookies, etc... so that TAM and Windows have less problems.  Windows 7 and above routinely runs a degrag, so I check the scheduled events for that and run it just before that happens. 

I use the CLEANMGR.EXE program that is part of Windows cleanup, and use the CLEANMGR.EXE /SAGESET:1 command to set which items I want to clean (I never use the "compress old files" option as it takes too long), and then use the CLEANMGR.EXE /SAGERUN:1 command to run it from a batch file.   I use this in conjunction with a wake on lan program to turn on the computers so that they can run at night.  I usually have it run about 8:00 PM at night, and then when I'm sure that cleanup and defragging has finished, I schedule an anti-virus scan to happen right after that.  Seems to work pretty well.

P.S.  I love sharing tips.  I've learned some good maintenance ideas here and I enjoy passing them along and hearing of others' success and failure stories.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

Hoping when I get back from vacation this will have many.   I learned a good one from Clint on the other site I set for every user.  Modifying toolbar in Word so you don't have to go to add ins, applied save and exit.  Saves 3 steps with form letters always looking for ways to reduce steps.  What automation initially was.  :)

Maybe if I visit the other place before I go I'll copy and paste his words.  Want him to have proper credit.  Maybe someone else can paste his comment.  Need to wrap up lose ends before I'm gone a week.

Thanks for sharing Jeff!  +1

Jeff Zylstra

You're welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time away!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Alice Mooney

Here is what Bob was speaking of from Clint.

MS Word 2010 Applied Add in's

In TAM, create a blank new formletter. At the top of Word 2010 there is a down arrow that you can click that will let you add more items to your quickbar. Click that and then click on "More Commands". On the top of the left column you will see a drop down list that says "Popular Commands" Click on that and choose "Macros". One of your macros will say "TemplateProject.modMain.AutoClose". Click on that one and then click "Add" to add it to your quickbar. Now you have the Applied Save and Exit button on the quickbar. One of the things I like to do while I am adding it is change the icon that is displayed to a smiley face. To do this, while you are adding it to your quickbar, select the one you just added and click modify and choose the smiley face icon :)

Clint Nesmith
Network Administrator
Thomas & Farr Agency, Inc. • Monroe, LA • Bastrop, LA • Shreveport, LA
TAM v11.0 • Fax @dvantage v7.2 • 42 users on TAM since 1990
XP Workstations • Exchange 2007 • Citrix Server • Server 2003 • PaperWise v6.4 since 2007
www.tfins.com
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

brinkerdana

+1 for the tip and another +1 for the smiley face. 
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jim Jensen

Instead of the auto-close command, I use a different one - the auto-close caused some issues for me.

In the same area of customizing the Quick Menu, choose "All Commands" instead of macros. Then find and select "Menu Commands" - there's a dropdown box image on the right of it, which doesn't open, but a tool tip should appear while pointing at it that reads "Menu Commands (GroupAddInsMenuCommands)" and add it to the QuickBar. This contains the Applied Menu list with Data, Image, Glossary and Save & Exit. This means the IF, ASK and database data elements options are in here, too. It also has a Print command on it, though I have also added the Quick Print option to the Quick Bar since Ctrl-P is disabled by the TAM macro.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

GeorgeW

OK, I have office 2007 and so maybe that is different that 2010, don't know. But in 2007 all I did was go to the Add-In's tab itself, then right-click on the word "Applied" and chose "Add Group to Quick Access Toolbar". 

However, while this works locally, it doesn't work in Termimal Server (well it does, but only for the current session you are in).

Am I missing something in doing the way I'm doing it? Seems simpler!
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Heather Reetz

I love hot keys! 

Share those, too, please.

Ctrl + L from almost anywhere in TAM takes you directly back to the client list.

Windows + L locks your station

Ctrl + X to cut
Ctrl + C to copy
Ctrl + V to paste

Alt + Tab to move to a different task

Ctrl + F to find specified text on a page - Works in many windows programs and sometimes in Adobe

Ctrl + Z to undo

Ctrl + ; for date in Word and Excel

I know you all are techies, so you likely know all of the above and more.  Share more!   ;D
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!

Bloody Jack Kidd

Winkey + L = lock your system
Winkey + D = show your desktop
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on April 03, 2012, 08:06:32 AM
Winkey + L = lock your system
Winkey + D = show your desktop

Winkey Dink = hotkey

Sorry, but that was what the neighbors used as an anatomical reference when we were kids. Just seeing "Winkey" reminded me of it.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Steven Strauss

My Faves:

Adobe:

Ctrl, Shift, +   rotate clockwise
Ctrl, Shift, -     rotate counterclockwise

Excel:

When you have a filter on and wish to copy just the filtered data, highlight the area you wish to copy and pres Alt ;. This will highlighted just the visible data and you can then paste values of just your filtered data.

Most programs:

Alt 155  is  ¢
Alt 20 is ¶
And us laywers, Alt 21 is §

-Steve
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1

Robin Deatherage

I publish my chapter newsletter and always include a tips section.  In the last one I had a couple I really like that are specific to Office 2010.

1.  You can "pin" a document or even an entire folder to the list of Recent Places in the right hand column on the menu. 
2.  The clipboard now holds up to 24 items at a time.  Go to the Home tab, find the Clipboard panel at the far left and click on the dialog launcher (the diagonal arrow at the lower right of the panel).  The Office Clipboard pane opens and anything you copy to the clipboard gets saved in that pane for you to select and paste.

I may borrow some of these for future newsletters if you all don't mind.   ;)
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Heather Reetz

Sorry, but that was what the neighbors used as an anatomical reference when we were kids. Just seeing "Winkey" reminded me of it.
[/quote]

Same here.  I never heard that key called a "winkey" but I've heard that word used as above.   :D

Some more classics:

Ctrl + B = bold
Ctrl + I = itallic
Ctrl + U = underline

Ctrl + E = Center align
Ctrl + L = Left align
Ctrl + R = Right align
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!

Charlie Charbonneau

Here's one I just found out the hard way... Apperently SP3 for Exchange 2007 didn't properly prepschema as well as the fact that it didn't throw an error either... after trying to add a new receive connector some time later I find myself re-downloading SP3 and extracting it to run setup.com /prepschema to fix the issue so that I can add in the connector.  Hopefully it's that simple, but it never is...   
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...