Single click not working

Started by DebAmstutz, March 28, 2012, 10:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebAmstutz

This might be a really dumb question, but that rarely stops me from asking...starting sometime yesterday, when I single click on "File" on IE to get to the "exit" item on that menu, I see the list of items and then it instantly disappears.  The same thing happens with "Favorites" but not "Tools" and "Help" and it doesn't happen every time.  I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that was done yesterday except shutting down the workstation because I was getting scanning errors a few times and turning everything off seems to clear those out.  Is there a setting somewhere that could've gone awry?  I've never noticed it happen any other time I've shut down the workstation.  Or could this be an early indication that I need a new mouse?

I also noticed that when trying to highlight a word or phrase to delete it from an email or other item, the highlight won't stay highlighted.  Is that related to the situation described above?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Mark

Have you tried a different mouse yet?  I'd just grab one from somewhere else to try and see if it's different.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

DebAmstutz

I didn't think there was another mouse available to try, but luckily for me, someone is gone today and I "borrowed" their mouse and it would appear that the mouse is the issue.  I haven't had a problem with the other mouse.  I guess I know what I'll be doing over lunch - shopping for a new mouse!
Deb Amstutz

Bloody Jack Kidd

Mark scores with a Layer 1 fix.

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jan Regnier

Be sure to get a wireless mouse (if you don't already have one).... :D
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

DebAmstutz

I have no interest in a wireless mouse.  A couple of people here have them and their function is not nearly as smooth as that of the wired mice. 
Deb Amstutz

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Jan Regnier on March 28, 2012, 11:40:51 AM
Be sure to get a wireless mouse (if you don't already have one).... :D

I received my first wireless mouse as a gift from an agency in Santa Monica after having helped them move away from MultiLink to PC-MOS/386.  I don't recall who they were.  Maybe they need to be signed up to AU so Lance & Bob can have more company.

(Amazing how I tied two threads together)
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on March 28, 2012, 10:59:17 AM
Mark scores with a Layer 1 fix.

Sometimes I'm quick to think of Layer 1 last and then kick myself when I realize it later.  I recently wasted a LOT of time on a loose cable, which I probably posted about here, and am trying to remember more often what they teach you on day one of most any technical class: ALWAYS CHECK THE PHYSICAL LAYER FIRST. lol
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Charlie Charbonneau

Depends on the mouse I guess..  I <3 my logitech wireless laser meeses!  I miss my old thumb trackball though.

Quote from: DebAmstutz on March 28, 2012, 12:06:18 PM
I have no interest in a wireless mouse.  A couple of people here have them and their function is not nearly as smooth as that of the wired mice.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Jan Regnier

I love my wireless mice too..... wouldn't have a mouse with a tail!
Jan Regnier

Lance Bateman

Had wireless mouse and keyboard at home - and got REALLY tired of having to replace batteries.

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Lance Bateman on March 28, 2012, 01:24:04 PM
Had wireless mouse and keyboard at home - and got REALLY tired of having to replace batteries.

My wireless keyboard and mice seem to last over 6 months, maybe averaging about 9 mo between battery replacements.  That is with fairly heavy usage.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Alice Mooney

Quote from: Gene Foraker on March 28, 2012, 01:45:54 PM

My wireless keyboard and mice seem to last over 6 months, maybe averaging about 9 mo between battery replacements.  That is with fairly heavy usage.
same here - batteries last pretty long time
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Alice on March 28, 2012, 01:54:41 PM
Quote from: Gene Foraker on March 28, 2012, 01:45:54 PM

same here - batteries last pretty long time

Me too....I have had to replace batteries here in the office only 1x a year so far.....  same for home.
Jan Regnier

DebAmstutz

Well I ended up with a wireless mouse after all - it was the least cost.  I can't justify spending $20 of someone else's money just to get what I want.  So far, it's working well, not the jumpiness I've experienced with other wireless mice here.  At least it's purple...LOL...one of my favorite colors.
Deb Amstutz

Alice Mooney

Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Lance Bateman

Alice - should have known you'd still be working.  Sort of echoes in here after noon Hawaii time (not sure what time that would be for you).

Alice Mooney

Lance - was around 7pm. very tired
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

DebAmstutz

No, Alice, it's a Microsoft mouse.  It was $9.99+tax.
Deb Amstutz